This last weekends cook on the Assassin28

Biged92

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This last weekend was the first full weekend I could dedicate to cooking on the new Assassin28 smoker. Cooked up a brisket and butts on Sunday for co-workers. And some ribs and chicken for a Monday evening dinner with friends. here are some pics from the cook on Sunday.

Brisket and butts went on at 6:30 AM
butts2.JPG

The color cherry wood gives meat is awesome.
butts4.JPG

The brisket also had amazing color.
butts6.JPG

The brisket turned out nice and tender.
butts9.JPG

Not a dry slice of brisket in the bunch.
butts10.JPG

A shot of the pulled pork.
butts13.JPG

The majority of the pulled pork was vac packed into roughly 1 lb packages and taken to work for our co-workers to enjoy.
butts15.JPG

On Monday I cooked dinner for some friends. Chicken and ribs were the main course.

Started things off with 3 racks of St Louis spare ribs on a 275 degree pit.
ribs3.JPG

Ribs at the 2 hr mark.
ribs4.JPG

Ribs off after the 2 1/2 hr mark, and ready to wrap.
ribs7.JPG

Chickens ready to go on the pit. We brined these yard birds for 12 hours, and threw on some of our chicken rub.
ribs6.JPG

The birds at the 1 1/2 hour mark. At this point they temped out at a IT of 132 degrees in the breast, and the legs and thighs at 145 degrees. Still a little ways to go.
ribs10.JPG

Finished product.
ribs12.JPG

One of the chicken cut up, along with all the ribs.
ribs13.JPG

Good food, good friends, a great way to end the weekend.
ribs14.JPG

So for this being the first 2 larger cooks on the new Assassin, it passed with flying colors. I was really happy with the results. I am going to enjoy cooking on the bad boy for years to come. Thanks for looking.

May have to put this cooker on the wish list along with a good stickburner. Would seem that this would make a good "everyday" cooker!

At what temp. and what shelf did you cook the ribs and brisket at. They look awesome and I am sure taste good. Also how do you burn the cherry to get that color?

Great post. That's for sharing. What do you use for chicken rub?

The chicken rub I used is one of my recipes I've been tweaking for comps. It's a low salt rub (I only use a 1/4 C of seasoning salt), as I brine most of my chicken prior to cooking. The rub contains a good amount of paprika, brown sugar, and honey powder, and is rounded out with rosemary, coriander, sage, white and black pepper, ginger, and chili powder.

At what temp. and what shelf did you cook the ribs and brisket at. They look awesome and I am sure taste good. Also how do you burn the cherry to get that color?

For this cook I ran the pit at 250*, and placed the meat on the 3rd rack from the bottom. Basically the middle of the cooking chamber. I generally put 4 to 5 hours of smoke on the big meats. It really depends on the color of the meat. Like most other cooks, I am usually looking for that nice reddish mahogany color. In this particular cook, it took closer to 5 hours to get the color I was looking for.

As for how I burned the wood, I just placed the wood chunks in the ash pan below the grate of the charcoal chute, and let the burning embers of the lump slowly ignite the wood. I placed 4 chunks (slightly larger then the size of a fist) of cherry in the ash pan 30 minutes before putting the meat on. Roughly 90 minutes into the cook, I added another 4 chunks of cherry. Then 90 minutes after that, I added 3 more chunks. Shortly after that I wrapped the meat up, so I no longer needed to add anymore smoke.

Now I know why they call the Assassin.
Great looking meal; with some high quality greens, and even broke out the Penzys spices,... nice!

Back