First WSM smoker - Boston Butts pron

djoseph74

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
About an hour in!

20130112_111149.jpg

more to come...

Oh man, what a shiny cooker!

The door looks a bit off, you might want to try and bend it ever so slightly to get a tighter fit.

Yah I was wondering about the door. I'll try adjusting a bit. I noticed there are some replacement doors out there that are made of steel. I wondered if they were worth exploring.

Yah I was wondering about the door. I'll try adjusting a bit. I noticed there are some replacement doors out there that are made of steel. I wondered if they were worth exploring.

Yeah, you can bend it to proper shape. The SS door is a great option as well. I'd roll stock and spend my $ on meat. :becky:

Hey Dan,
Everything looks good. Gotta love the WSM, eh?
But, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'.
Keep the lid on the WSM and let it do it's magic.

Thanks! I do love it. Very happy!

LOL I was just give the meat a spraying, lids back on, I'm back watching TV :thumb:

Some final pics. I only took a picture of one of them before I pulled it. Not the best one, but they both turned out great.

20130112_205217.jpg

20130112_200218.jpg

Looks great, but ....

There's nothing on the lower rack! You could have a brisket down there. Or a couple more butts. There's space on the top where you could throw a few brats on (not the precooked ones) or some Polish and Italian sausage. I like to smoke up a few of something if I have space on the grate. Even a couple chicken legs would be nice.

Looks like excellent results for your first cook! :thumb:

Hey Hank,

Thanks! I was amazed at the space. I remember barely getting 1 10lbs butt on my kettle. I was gazing at the space today thinking about all the different combinations o things I could have smoking on that monster. Its awesome. I'm going to try loading it up real good in a couple weeks :D

They look great to me too! Love the looks of the bark. :thumb:

Did 80# of butts on my 22.5 this past week. Needed a bit larger fire due to the heat sink effect of all that cold meat but the WSM delivered as usual. An amazing piece of equipment. :sly:

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

Keep the original door and save the money. With a little time and effort they can be bent to fit fine and will seal very well after a few cooks.

Looks like you got the hang of it pretty quick! I'll take that plate of bark, please.

Back