MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #31
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubob View Post
Can I assume that the time starts AFTER the float valve pops up indicating the top is now sealed?
My times are based on about 4300ft elevation, and are a WAG that works for me.

Yes, the timer starts once the pressure cooker is sealed.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #32
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubob View Post
Thanks Shadow. I just sent thirdeye an email for some clarification on his Method #4 which uses a simple pressure cooker which I also have.

I would probably use some beef stock for the liquid instead of water and I wonder if your 15 minutes in the Instant Pot equates to his 25 - 40 minutes in the pressure cooker. He also says he has gone as long as 50 minutes for a little more tenderness. His times are based on an altitude of 5200 famsl (mine is 4200 famsl) and a brisket weight around 4 lbs. I'll be doing a 2 lb brisket. So your 15 minutes might be very close.

Can I assume that the time starts AFTER the float valve pops up indicating the top is now sealed?
Bob's main question in the e-mail was: Your process lists Method #4 as using a pressure cooker (which I also have and use a lot for canning fish and game meat). I’m not sure how to convert your pressure cooker method over to the IP. Can you give me a hint; or better yet, full IP instructions

I don't have a IP, but they operate at 11.6 psi. If I use my pressure canner I'm finishing the pastrami between 13.5 and 15 psi. My write up is geared toward a 4 pound corned beef, and smoking it to 150° internal before moving to the finish. So, if everything remains the same... cooking in an IP will need more time. A smaller corned beef would need less time. And a corned beef smoked to 190° will need less time. All that said, following natural release at whatever finishing time..., if the pastrami is not quite tender enough, just pressure the cooker back up for 5 minutes.

PS - save the juices from the pressure. They can be used to warm slices, or as a dip for sandwiches, or as a base for a Reuben soup.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #33
thirdeye

I guess we need someone with hands-on experience with an Instant Pot to chime in. I just found 3 recipes for cooking a corned beef in an IP and all the times were 90 minutes... but a corned beef is raw. When a pastrami goes in to the IP, it has a head start on internal temperature.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #34
dubob
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I guess we need someone with hands-on experience with an Instant Pot to chime in. I just found 3 recipes for cooking a corned beef in an IP and all the times were 90 minutes... but a corned beef is raw. When a pastrami goes in to the IP, it has a head start on internal temperature.
Yes-sir; that's pretty much what I found also. Although one recipe I found said 70 minutes. I'm doing a plain corned beef and cabbage today - it is, after all, St Patrick's Day - and I plan on doing the 90.

I guess I'll just start with 15 minutes in the IP on the pastrami and check temp/tenderness and do some more if needed. Learn by doing as 'they' say. It's all fun and good food - I hope.

2 members found this post helpful.