MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
bproffer
Take a breath!

Default Traeger Timberline Problems, updates and fixes

Since there a more and more of us on here who have purchased or are in the process of purchasing Traeger Timberline Smokers, I figured I could start this thread where you can come and post the issues and fixes you are having in a single thread and not scatter them amongst the other threads.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
bproffer
Take a breath!

Here is a response I got from Traeger regarding pellet burn back, smoke coming from the from the pellet hopper and "other issues" being soot and failures to start and auger jams.

"
Thank you for contacting Traeger! My name is Ben M, and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your email “More 1300 issues”.

Thank you for reaching out to us so sorry about the delayed response, We have another update coming out today version 01.01.03 that should take care of the back burn issue as well as the other issues you have been experiencing.
However with the update you will need to remove a part from your grill, you will need to remove the collar around the induction fan.

I have attached some pictures so you can see where the item is. From the pictures you can see it is just 4 bolts that hold the fan on, also hold this collar on. So you will need to remove your fan and remove the collar and then reinstall the fan. Please let me know if you have any questions, thank you!

If there is anything else that we can do to assist you please don’t hesitate to let us know. Thank you for choosing Traeger!

All the best,

Ben M"

Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
bproffer
Take a breath!

Here is a picture of what they are talking about.

Last edited by bproffer; 03-31-2021 at 12:31 PM..
bproffer is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
unixadm
Take a breath!

I sent them a thorough email explaining about airflow characteristics and lack of stoking the fire pot correctly with too much fuel in it, thus causing a dirty, sooty, flame.

Their reply this afternoon:

Hi David,
Thank you for contacting Traeger! My name is REP NAME REMOVED.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I personal thank you so much for providing me with this. I’m getting this forwarded right now.
Thank you, thank you.
If there is anything else that we can do to assist you please don’t hesitate to let us know. Thank you for choosing Traeger!
All the best,

REP NAME REMOVED
Customer Service Representative
TRAEGER WOOD FIRED GRILLS
800.872.3437 (Toll-free)
TraegerGrills.com
PRIVACY: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. Unauthorized use, distribution, review or disclosure is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of the original message.
JUL 11, 2017 *|* 06:50PM MDT
David replied:
I’ve confirmed this is an airflow issue in the fire pot. When the unit approaches its set temperature or runs in Super Smoke mode, it begins cycling the fan on and off. When the fan goes to off, the soot is coming out of the fire pot when it has not burned enough fuel out to cause it to smolder only. I made a video of it. Your firmware programmer cannot turn the fan to off or so low that it is not stoking the fire pot with that much fuel in it. GMG made this exact same mistake. It’s nasty to see how much black smoke is coming from the fire when it’s starved of oxygen and not stoked properly. You an see the flame is rising without any input air or disturbance.

Feel free to have your controller programmer(s) reach out to me directly if they want video or my input. I worked directly with GMG on the very same issue when they are were attempting to achieve tighter temperature swings with less overshoot. In the end, we solved it and all was well for me and their customer base. Unfortunately, dirty combustion is not good for cooking. It’s giving a good cooker a bad name already.

Please fix. I’m happy to test a beta firmware or an improved fan which provides more airflow at lower commanded PWM speeds.

Again, mine was delivered with the latest 01.01.02 firmware.

Regards,
David

-----------------------

With that said, I'll check when I get home to see if I get a new update and I'll remove the collar. Did it make any difference for you or is the update not out yet? I was just coming here to update my thread, so thanks for starting one focused on fixing issues on the Timberline.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

Does everyone need to remove this piece??

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I only have 2 cooks so far but I don't see any issues with mine so far.

Last night I ran a test removed all the grates, drip pan and deflector to look for smoldering issues I ran several different temps started low and bumped it up than backed it down and back up again no smoldering and the temp followed the what I had set it at except the one time I bumped up the temp from 225 to 350 the temp did not rise but rather dropped below 200 then I switched it to 400 and it ran right up to temp.

I gonna run some chicken in there tonight too look for soot but I don't think I'm having this problem

Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
unixadm
Take a breath!

Just to be clear, smoldering is not the issue. A smoldering pellet won't produce soot. A flaming pellet without being properly stoked will produce soot. If you have ANY black buildup on anything within the smoker, there is a soot issue. You should see brownish and greyish buildup only. A small hint of black is okay, but if you wipe your finger across things and have black soot, it's a problem.

1. Grates
2. Drip pan
3. Heat diffuser (U shaped piece that goes over the fire pot)

For me, the heat diffuser showed the most soot. Second to that, I saw problems on the grates. If the inside of the smoker has any bit of a dark black tinge, it's soot. A brownish color is OK.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
unixadm
Take a breath!

How do you access the fan assembly? Do you have to take all of the screws out of the bottom? It looks like there is an access door to get in there, but it doesn't have any screws.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #9
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Be good to copy Traeger this thread as well as the other larger one.
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
bproffer
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
How do you access the fan assembly? Do you have to take all of the screws out of the bottom? It looks like there is an access door to get in there, but it doesn't have any screws.
There are 4 small screws on/near the bottom of the pellet hopper. Remove those and the whole bottom access panel comes off.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #11
unixadm
Take a breath!

Thanks. I removed the fan shroud about 30 minutes ago. It didn't make any real difference with soot. I can confirm they are depowering the fan instead of going to a lower speed which still keeps the fire stoked at a minimal level. Hopefully once they release the 01.01.03 firmware, it will address this.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

Is this going to be specific to yours or all units? Will they make this info available to all??

Old 07-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
Is this going to be specific to yours or all units? Will they make this info available to all??
Since they are all built basically the same, I'm assuming it will relate to all units out in the wild which have not left the factory.

They said they are releasing the firmware today, but I can't get mine to update, so it must not be out yet.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #14
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

It would be nice if they sent out some info on this. I don't want to take stuff apart if I don't have to

Old 07-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #15
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm not having combustion or soot issues but mine takes forever to get to temp and does not recover after opening the lid, it just never comes all the way back