MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #76
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Default Bark

Unfortunately it got so hectic with the kids and wife pics took a backseat but here’s a pick of the money muscle after I dipped It in juice, you can see the bark in the background on the butt. I’ll say the Bark was just as pronounced as any offset I’ve used but was incredibly juicy. The bark wasn’t mushy like I would associate with a water pan, it seems to be the best of both worlds right now. So far I’m thrilled and it ran like a dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
Matt your cook is looking awesome with that mahogany color on the butts and brisket you really nailed it with some impressive results!

Are you satisfied with it? I'd love to see some pics of those butts just as your starting to pull them to see what the bark looks like when opened up.

Last edited by Mattb82; 07-12-2021 at 09:59 AM..
Mattb82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 05-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #77
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Perfect bark, exactly what I was curious about that is outstanding!

We kicked around the idea of ordering one of these in a certified 72 unit last year, and I still want one but need to come up with a way to handle the waste water and pressurized supply for winter use.

Thanks for the pic Matt, look forward to hearing more as you get to spend time with it.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #78
DBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Congrats and love the look of the cooker. At the end of the cook, how do you dispose of the water? Is there extensive clean up involved after water removal?
DBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #79
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cleanup

Cleanup was easy, I have a large drain right by the smoker so I rolled it over and opened up the valve. I cooked on the top rack with a pan on the second so the water wouldn’t be filthy, opened up the valve and then drained it in a couple minutes, wiped water pan down and done. Maybe a five minute cleanup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBQ View Post
Congrats and love the look of the cooker. At the end of the cook, how do you dispose of the water? Is there extensive clean up involved after water removal?

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #80
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Default Bark

Honestly the bark looked and had the exact same texture as the SF and the Jambo Backyard that I’ve owned. It surprised me because I expected less and was prepared to adjust but I ran a simple rub of killer hog the bbq rub plus coarse pepper and kosher salt. If I would have gone pure Texas style it would have been like black grit sandpaper bark which I love but I’m prepping for comps and that mahogany is the move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
Perfect bark, exactly what I was curious about that is outstanding!

We kicked around the idea of ordering one of these in a certified 72 unit last year, and I still want one but need to come up with a way to handle the waste water and pressurized supply for winter use.

Thanks for the pic Matt, look forward to hearing more as you get to spend time with it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #81
Tbone1911
Got rid of the matchlight.

No need for pressurized water.... you can manualy feed it if there is no water supply....
Tbone1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #82
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb82 View Post
Honestly the bark looked and had the exact same texture as the SF and the Jambo Backyard that I’ve owned. It surprised me because I expected less and was prepared to adjust but I ran a simple rub of killer hog the bbq rub plus coarse pepper and kosher salt. If I would have gone pure Texas style it would have been like black grit sandpaper bark which I love but I’m prepping for comps and that mahogany is the move.
Sweet! So would love to hear your thoughts on this verses the hunsaker can? Obviously this will Cook way more but am interested in taste test. Amesome cooker and nice work!

Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #83
Mattb82
Full Fledged Farker

Default Comparison

I haven’t had the Hunsaker very long but the biggest difference aside from the actual cookers would be the stickburner flavor. The Can is awesome, just different. Hard to replace the flavor from a clean fire with sticks and a huge part of the MMS I believe is how great the airflow is. Very different than I expected and how you can create temp zones based on where you place your fire. Definitely will still use the can but I’m in love with the mms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-b-que View Post
Sweet! So would love to hear your thoughts on this verses the hunsaker can? Obviously this will Cook way more but am interested in taste test. Amesome cooker and nice work!

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #84
pharp
Banned

Awesome smoker and cook.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #85
cfi1234
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Smokin' Chemtrails

Congrats....keep the pics coming

Old 05-18-2019, 01:17 AM   #86
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats Matt! Seeing your excitement and pics takes me back to the excitement I had several years ago when my MMS-48 was delivered. And the cool thing is that even after having for a good bit I still love it and love the food that comes off of if.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote