First Attempt at Jambalaya.....

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After reading nmayeux's post on how to make jambalaya, I knew I had to give this a try. Here is his post if anyone would like to see it. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38557&highlight=jambalaya
It was a good week for this cause I had been smoking most of the week. So all the ingredients were in play and carefully went over and over the recipe to assure consistency. I did my roux, and got it to a nice color, light brown. Then went in all the veggies. Afterwards the 4 cups of rice and our spice.
Here we have a shoot of that:

jamb1.jpg

I then added some left over chuckie, cubed ham steak, left over spatchcock chicken and some polish kielbasa. Stirred some more and then came time to add the liquid. Here is where I blew it big time. The recipe calls for 2 cans of chicken stock and 2 cans of beef broth. Some where I cross the wires in my head and added 2 cups of each. Needless to say I didn't have enough water to cover the rice. Luckily, my wife save me by insisting there need to be enough wtaer to cover the rice. So I poured enough stock to to that.

jamb2.jpg

The next step was to bring it a rolling boil and cover it and let simmer.

jamb3.jpg

After an hour of waiting, no peeking allowed, it was done. The flavor was excellent, the rice was a touch hard, but again, that was my fault. I then realize that a can of stock is just shy of two cups, I would have needed almost 8 cups in total. But here is how it looked. Really good eats.

jamb4.jpg

I need to do it again and fix my error, I can't wait to see the improved results. Thanks again to nmayeux for a great recipe.:grin:

I freakin love jambalaya.... looks good. I'll be waiting for my sample to arrive!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great looking jamabalaya there mad max even if it is outside Thunderdome! Good job.

Okay, that looks really good. I think I have Sunday dinner all planned now.

Looks real good next time you are planning to try it again let me know so I can show uo and let you know how good it is

Congrats MM, and I'm glad it worked for you. Now the next step is to make some modifications to the recipe, and make it "Mad Max's" jambalaya!

Good lookin' jambalaya. Next you'll be whipping up some gumbo!

A wonderful dish!

I have been making it since 1986 (a buddy gave me a Paul Prudhomme videotape-still have it).
Its a dish not unlike chili or even que, you can fool with it the rest of your days, and make it a thousand different ways.
Good old poor folk food. How to take one chicken and feed 10 people.
I have a mountain of recipes, I will pop a couple interesting ones on here sometime. One of my favorites is-get this-hamburger and cabbage!

Congrats MM, and I'm glad it worked for you. Now the next step is to make some modifications to the recipe, and make it "Mad Max's" jambalaya!
Thanks Bro., I will be trying it again, soon. I'll let you know what I come up with.

I have been making it since 1986 (a buddy gave me a Paul Prudhomme videotape-still have it).
Its a dish not unlike chili or even que, you can fool with it the rest of your days, and make it a thousand different ways.
Good old poor folk food. How to take one chicken and feed 10 people.
I have a mountain of recipes, I will pop a couple interesting ones on here sometime. One of my favorites is-get this-hamburger and cabbage!

I look forward to seeing some of the posts. You could never have enough ideas. Thanks to everyone for the great comments.

Back