MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default I have 5k to spend

I have 5k budget to spend on a new cooker for vending and catering. What is my best bet for the money. PLease help, I am having a hell of a time making a decision.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bro, you've got a tough call to make.

$5K will get you a variety of cookers, but a lot depends on how much volume you need as well as how you want to cook.

I got my Kingfisher rotisserie stick-burner for under $5K delivered to FL. You can also get a FEC100 for under $5K. The large Spicewine falls into that category.

If you need mobility with a cooker on its own trailer or axle, well things get more problematic.

Check out Spice's site for an idea or two.

Also look at http://www.kck.com/kingfisher_kookers_specials for Kingfisher cookers - Bob treated me right when I ordered mine.

Also look at http://brittsbarbecue.com/html/jack_...h_cookers.html for additional ideas.

The Lang cookers give a lot of volume and portability.

Most fabricators can put any of their cookers on an axle or trailer.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the info

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
CrazyChef
Knows what a fatty is.

If I had that to spend, I'd go with a used J&R Manufacturing Oyler 700. They're a little hard to find, but they're out there.
CrazyChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I started with a OK Joes (Horizon) 36" that I bought for $5700.00. Wanna buy it?
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Check out the Diamond Plate Pits. Easy to operate and tow like a dream http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com/smokersfat40.html
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Man, now I am really confused. Thanks for all the info. I now have to make a decision. Anymore input would be great. Thanks

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 04-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Man, now I am really confused. Thanks for all the info. I now have to make a decision. Anymore input would be great. Thanks
Dude! You thought it would be EASY?

1. Determine what you will spend. That's easy - $5K
2. How much cooker do you need? Not so easy but figure out how much you will cook on 90% of your biggest sessions.
3. Wood, charcoal, pellets?
4. Do you need a trailer/axle?
5. Sit in a chair and whine a bit!

All the cookers mentioned and plenty that aren't will get the job done for you. My only regret with my Kingfisher is I didn't buy the bigger 6 shelf rotisserie model. My 4-shelf has taken care of the 90% (#2 on the list) and I've cooked pulled pork for 400 folks on my cooker.

Now, that being said, I'd kill for an FEC500 or Jack's Old South Shoulder or pig cooker. The FEC for volume (I happen to love rotisserie shelves) and pellet convenience, the JOS for volume and INSULATION. Of course, you pay for these features. I live and cook mostly in FL so my single skin cooker has been ok, but there have been times I would have killed for an insulated cooker.

So, keep looking and kicking the tires. Nothing beats a trip to a cook off, or a dealer/fabricator. Check out your local area - you might be amazed at some of the work being done in your own back yard! My next rig will probably come from a guy in Lakeland that I met at one of my first cook offs.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

It is easy Lang 84 long neck
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigman View Post
It is easy Lang 84 long neck
I would love to agree with that Roger but not as much space as 1 would think.

We had a Lang 60 last year....way to small for even medium size events.

Got the Lang 84 now and i can see were still gonna be short on space for larger parties.

IMO, it all comes down to what size crowds you'll be cooking for and the most important factor....ease of use.

You do NOT want to be running a cooker when you should be serving food.
Set it and forget it that serves quality product is what your after.

Good luck bro, if i had the funds, i have NO clue what i would get either.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013

Last edited by Bbq Bubba; 04-07-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
big brother smoke

I am dead set on a stick burner! When catering you should have people doing setup and people doing the cooking (YMMV). We try to keep stations seperate. For large parties or weddings, I rarely get to cook, I call on Country and also Mista for this. I am too busy doing other chit such as chatting with the client, supervising various stations, tablescapes, etc.

Of course this is my opinion time and time again, I just think stickburners offer the client something special versus an oven that receives pellets

This thread also touches on the subject: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59117

Disclaimer: YMMV