Ideas to reheat chopped brisket - no electricity

tjv

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Need some help. Wife asked if I would do brisket for a group before the high school football game friday. Originally it was 30 people, so plan was to smoke the brisket on the eggs, cooler and bring to game hot. Now 30 people is 60-70 and I ain't got that many eggs. So, gotta go in two cooks, first cook is on right now with plans to chop for brisket sammies. Second brisket cook can go chop or slice depending on when finished and schedule.

Question is no electricity where we are setting up at the game. All I can think to do is food saver the chop brisket and reheat in boiling water using an LP fired turkey fryer. Or, find a generator and use a turkey roaster to reheat in bulk. If I food saver how may pounds in each bag and how long to reheat in the boiling water. This first cook is close to 28 pounds of brisket flats and guessing maybe 14 pounds finished product at 4 sammies per pound = 56 sammies.

thanks

tom

Electricity or not I would do it just the way you described. Even at home this is how I reheat all bbq. It heats the meat and doesn't dry it out.

I would have to agree with Larry, when heated this way, it is just as moist as when you first put it in the bags, and is coveinant.

2lbs per bag? Make sure you double seal it.

If you want to go the generator route let me know. I've got one you could borrow.

Tom,
How long until you leave the house and people are eating? If not too long you could reheat at home (I like the idea of the "boil in bag" but haven't tried it) and then take in coolers and not even need to take a heat source.

BTW, I went to NTSU (now UNT) in the 80's - love Denton!

thanks for the suggestions. I think the plan is food saver in 1-2 lb. bags, reheat at home in boiling water then toss in a Cambro for transportation and storage till needed. A buddy has a Cambro and pans, got lucky!

Any idea on how long to boil or check the meat temp while boiling other than poke a hole in the bag with a thermapen. I appreciate the help.

thanks to Dan at the Kansas City BBQ store. I ordered two gallons of Blues Hog on Tuesday and just found it on the door step. Great service!

Back