28 Pounds Of Slow Start - Fast Finish Brisket

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
DSC08352a.jpg

I got underway right after daybreak this morning....with two 14 pound choice Angus briskets. 180° for 3 hours, then ramped up the cooker to 325° for another 5 hours. It was tender and had an internal of 193° when I slipped it off the pit. Used the Lockhart style rub (or as I just learned, Dalmation rub) cherry and pecan. No TQ. These are round two for the wedding rehearsal, so no sliced shots.​

DSC08350a.jpg

DSC08357a.jpg

DSC08366a.jpg

DSC08369a.jpg

DSC08372a.jpg

When I saw 28 lbs and brisket, :shock: I thought man, that musta been a giant bull....:roll:. They look good, it would be hard for me to not cut off a cooks sample of two of each :icon_shy.

Last edited:
If it taste anywhere close to as good as it looks then you are in great shape! Looks pretty much perfect to me!

Looks awesome! I'm going to be giving popdaddy's tri-level rub a shot for my next high heat brisket experiment. How did the slices come out?

Good Job

That looks like some good viddles, I wish this was a scratch and sniff monitor :p, lol

My wife is scratch and sniff. Thirdeye, when is someone gonna get courageous a really pile on the Dalmatian rub like I do. LOL

Looks delicious

Donny, I've got one going right now. Pics will be posted later. Problem is its only a flat.

NUTZ

Looks awesome! I'm going to be giving popdaddy's tri-level rub a shot for my next high heat brisket experiment. How did the slices come out?

These are the first two of five that I am doing for a wedding rehershal. It's in a small town in northern Colorado and the gal I'm doing them for wanted them frozen for reheating later. I did a complete test run a few weeks ago that came out fine. I have a week to do the others. I wish there were some slices to try out too. :sad:

My wife is scratch and sniff. Thirdeye, when is someone gonna get courageous a really pile on the Dalmatian rub like I do. LOL

Looks delicious

The salt is hard to see in the photo, but I've never really been one to rub heavily :eek:. What would you guess is the amount you would use on a brisket this size?

I see the grate marks, just curious what you do for flips?

I did my first brisket (5lb flat) today, not bad on taste, but too dry and not tender. I definitely need some practice.

Drums are a little awkward to work in because they are actually a chimney when that lid comes off. The smoke can get heavy after a minute. Then when turning things like butts or brisket, the surface fats are dripping right into the charcoal basket.

I use some neoprene gloves called Claw Hands. They are made by Wells Lamont. They have a short cuff, like cotton work gloves but are very thick.

http://www.wellslamont.com/Neoprene-Knit-Wrist.html

Great lookin' brisket!

Gonna check them Claw hands out.

Drums are a little awkward to work in because they are actually a chimney when that lid comes off. The smoke can get heavy after a minute. Then when turning things like butts or brisket, the surface fats are dripping right into the charcoal basket.

I use some neoprene gloves called Claw Hands. They are made by Wells Lamont. They have a short cuff, like cotton work gloves but are very thick.

http://www.wellslamont.com/Neoprene-Knit-Wrist.html

Sorry, meant to ask how often or how many times...

I start fat down. First turn in 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Next turn in 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Next turn in 3 or 4 hours if I need to adjust the color (but not for too long), then I finish fat down. I'm really careful of the color, when the fat is up I keep a close eye on the cooker.

Other cookers may have a different sequence than a drum.

That's some good looking brisket! Good luck with the wedding rehearsal...

Firecrackerjack

I start fat down. First turn in 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Next turn in 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Next turn in 3 or 4 hours if I need to adjust the color (but not for too long), then I finish fat down. I'm really careful of the color, when the fat is up I keep a close eye on the cooker.

Other cookers may have a different sequence than a drum.

So when you cook at say 230/250 are you turning less at those temps or the same?
Dave

So when you cook at say 230/250 are you turning less at those temps or the same?
Dave

I always start low and hold a 180° or 200° for the first 3 hours, which would take me through the first two turns. So at that point in time, whether I would ramp up to 250° or up to 300°, the brisket is now back in a fat down position where it will stay for 3 or 4 hours. At 250° it may stay there longer.

Thanks, I have been starting off slow lately before taking up to about 230/250 and now find I need to cut back on my wood so as not to over smoke. Thus the question I posted a couple days ago about only using lump with no fruit woods. I also start fat side down in my uds but usually only turn it once toward the last couple hours of the cook.
Dave

Back