MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
skolek
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Who can sell me a baffle?

Is there anyone out there that can sell me a baffle for the Brinkmann "reversed" Bandera smoker? I could probably make one, however I wanted to see if anyone out there has mastered the talent of making them really well, and would consider making one for me?

Possibly someone might be interested in a trade for services rendered? I run a software development / web hosting business, http://www.skmsoftware.com, and could offer web/email hosting services for a baffle, if interested?

At any rate, either for sale or trade, I'm serious in that I'd like to procure a baffle for my Brinkmann. I just purchased it, and while I have been a fellow smoker before, I wanted an offset firebox model to replace my previous vertical only smoker. I'm waiting to assemble it until I get a baffle.

By the way, this site looks great, and I look forward to learning, and sharing info, from a new transplant to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area of Minnesota.

Thanks,
Scott
skolek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Scott,
Can you say BBQ in 15 feet of snow (snot).
Welcome, go to “Cattle Call” and tell us about yourself.
We got a guy that made a few baffles for the NB Bandera, but I don’t want to speak for him and his baffle making abilities.
Anyway, come and introduce yourself, and I am sure we can figure out something. There’s a few Techno Weenies here that speak your language (right Mary ?)
And a lot of good Q info. So, don’t be a stranger
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 04-11-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
skolek

Can't wait to BBQ in 15' of snow, however I'll have to wait until next year... :( They're expecting almost 70 this week, so I gotta get the smoker ready, and put the shorts on! ;)

I actually just moved here from the south, lived in Dallas, Austin, then near New Orleans, LA, just got too damn hot for me, so I had to get away!

I love smoking/BBQ'ing, last year in Louisiana, I nearly smoked something every weekend. Still trying to master the pork ribs however. I'm still trying to make the elusive "fall off the bone" ribs.

I do make a mean rub, and I'll have to post the recipe, it's a nice hot one, and I tend to make all my meats HOT! I've been known to marinate my ribs in Tabasco for 24+ hours! :> I use tons of Cayenne (sp?), Hungarian Hot Paprika, Chili Powder, etc...

Everyone who has my ribs must have at least a 6 pack next to them at all times! :)

Thanks,
Scott

Old 04-11-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Welcome Scott, and KCquer (not gay) has fashioned a baffle for your rig.

Hit the PM button on any of his posts to contact him directly.

Welcome

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

welcome Scott.. I can guarentee... 3 days with us, and your next batch of ribs will be fall off the bone.

My technique.. and this will be the first of a bunch you are about to get probably.

REMOVE THE MEMBRANE!!!

Rub with cider vinegar and then your favorite dry rub. Few Hours to overnight.

babybacks, about 2-3 hours in smoke.. 220-240. spares, 3-4 hours. Spray often with 50/50 mix apple juice and bourbon, maybe add a touch of cider vinegar or pickle juice(yes pickle juice) to the spray.

When they pull back form the bone about 3/8 inch, spray liberally and wrap in foil for about an hour for BB, 2 hours for spares.

remove from foil and put back in smoke at around 200 for anpther 30 minutes(BB), 1 hour for spares.... or until done to your liking.

Alternative.... When you wrap them, slop heavy withy BBQ sauce, or whatever your using for a mop), then 2 hours in foil, 1 hour back in smoke.

Bill has his 3-2-1 method, similar to mine, just a little more structured..

prepare yourself for fall of the bones, non competiotion, gereat backyard ribs..

and BTW.. WELCOME.!!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
skolek

Actually I've done most of that:

1. I always remove the membrane.

2. I've soaked in apple juice/cider overnight.

3. Sprayed every hour with apple juice/cider.

4. Mopped them pretty heavily for the last hour.

The only thing I haven't done is wrap in foil, which I've yet to try.

However you list some interesting ideas, which I'll be sure to try, i.e. bourbon! :)

Thanks,
Scott

Old 04-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
Bigdog

Welcome Scott. Please post your hot rub. I love hot and spicy stuff.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #8
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Re: Who can sell me a baffle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolek
Is there anyone out there that can sell me a baffle for the Brinkmann "reversed" Bandera smoker? I could probably make one, however I wanted to see if anyone out there has mastered the talent of making them really well, and would consider making one for me?

Possibly someone might be interested in a trade for services rendered? I run a software development / web hosting business, http://www.skmsoftware.com, and could offer web/email hosting services for a baffle, if interested?

At any rate, either for sale or trade, I'm serious in that I'd like to procure a baffle for my Brinkmann. I just purchased it, and while I have been a fellow smoker before, I wanted an offset firebox model to replace my previous vertical only smoker. I'm waiting to assemble it until I get a baffle.

By the way, this site looks great, and I look forward to learning, and sharing info, from a new transplant to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area of Minnesota.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott,

I used an off the shelf outside tin dryer vent from HD for my Bandera. Used the template from the files section to cut around the water pan. I had the idea that it would be good to have the vent flap adjustable to have more control over smoke chamber temp. But from my experience here at this altitude it was not needed, it is always wide open. Measure your opening, go to HD and see if you can find a vent with a flange that will fit. Make a cardboard mock up to fit around your water pan and then transfer to and cut the vent to fit. Drill the vent flange to fit the bolt holes and you are ready to assemble. About 5-10 bucks and a couple of hrs. or less.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #9
Solidkick

Welcome!

The foil IS THE TRICK for fall off the bone ribs.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #10
skolek

I'll get my rub mixture posted the next time I make it, should be in a week or two. I don't have it written down, as it's mostly a from memory and taste type recipe.

I think this year I'll have to try the foil, any tips on when to put it on? I usually make dry and wet ribs at the same time, so for the wet, do I foil before or after mopping? And how long before the end, one hour, two?

I'm also going to head to HD this week to see if I can find a dryer vent, otherwise I'll try to make one myself, which from what I gather from everyone, shouldn't be too hard. I just want to have one that will last.

I've seen some posts on using bricks, which I may try as well. Anyone have HD part numbers or additional recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 04-13-2004, 08:27 AM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

y afoil them up when they start to pull form the tips of the bones, about 3/8 inch. BB'sfoil for about an hour, spares for about 2. Then unfoil and reaturn to smoke/heat for a littl bit.. (reread the post i put up above this one, im lazy, dont want to type more.) :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #12
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolek
I'll get my rub mixture posted the next time I make it, should be in a week or two. I don't have it written down, as it's mostly a from memory and taste type recipe.

I think this year I'll have to try the foil, any tips on when to put it on? I usually make dry and wet ribs at the same time, so for the wet, do I foil before or after mopping? And how long before the end, one hour, two?

I'm also going to head to HD this week to see if I can find a dryer vent, otherwise I'll try to make one myself, which from what I gather from everyone, shouldn't be too hard. I just want to have one that will last.

I've seen some posts on using bricks, which I may try as well. Anyone have HD part numbers or additional recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott
Don't use any kind of bricks except "fire bricks, called splits" look in yellow pages and call birck yards, if the first one you call dosent have them ask the who does in your area.

Regular bricks emit toxic stuff when heated which will get into you food.

And don't use any thing that is galvanized for your baffel. I had a regular heater floor vent that would have also worked and was cheaper that the dryer vent. The flap in my dryer vent is premantly open now and is not desired or needed.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote