MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Stayin' Awake Mad

I was asked months ago to cater a party for employees of a local Community College. I sent a quote ---they replied that it was slightly over their budget. I made slight price concessions to fit theit budget. (about 5%)

I received a "Purchase Order" with the correct total on it in April. The event is tomorrow and they informed me today that we have some paperwork to do and I will get a check in a week or so.

I have never cancelled a BBQ---I do not want to make anyone mad----but this is not what the original deal was. I am angry and awake at 3:30 AM and thinking about calling in the morning and saying that I will come cook when the check is ready. I can probably afford to buy the groceries and pay the help----I am tired of dealing with Governmental agencies that pay slow. If the State Board of Equalization thinks I am late ---they just attach everything.

WWBD?
What Would Brethren Do?
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #2
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Since it has been in the works since April it seems like they should have a check by now. How big is this event? do you know someone there personally?
In this economy I would be careful if this is a large event since you spelled everything out earlier. good luck!

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

standard rule is...
deposit(1/2) a week in advance
payment due upon arrival.

thats just how i roll.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
WWBD?
Have you bought food or supplies yet?
Supplies can be returned or stocked but food you own.
If you bought the meats, suck it up and wait for your check, lesson learned.
If you haven't purchased anything yet.......WALK AWAY!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
big brother smoke

I think you will get your dough. Since I work for a university, it sounds like someone in the system did not understand what the fark they were doing. POs are required when a price exceeds a certain dollar figure. Unfortunatey, they may have tried to pay you via check and found out they had to submit a PO. I would be pissed, but I do believe you will get paid in a couple of weeks.

FYI: At my institution POs are required when a price exceeds $2500

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
I am tired of dealing with Governmental agencies that pay slow.

You've obviously goen through this before, so why should you be surprised now?

It is a fact of life in dealing with government agencies. The choice is to accept the fact, and proceed anyway, or to not do government work.

To do this and think that things will suddenly be different is a recipe for heartburn and aggravation.

For 30 years I've dealt primarily with government contracts, and if you are losing sleep over it, then you probably aren't cut out for it. It's all about accepting what you can not change and planning your cash flow accordingly. Once you understand that, you will realize that it is just part of doing business.

BTW, last month I got partially paid on an invoice that was originally submitted back in 2004!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

They will pay you, if you don't do the gig, the next guy will. I run tabs with people and always get my money. Chances of them taking off is very unlikely. Do the gig, get that money!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
stillsmokintn
Knows what a fatty is.

having had several types of businesses i have run into this before.got burned couple of times.but look at this way you will already be in the system next time and will probally get paid faster!!! but you are dealing with the gov.and the way there spending money who knows. good luck hope all works out. id say just roll with it its part of the gig. if it was easy everyone would do it

Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
stillsmokintn
Knows what a fatty is.

on a side note try living in a depressed rural area where customers run credit tabs to get by till payday.i will not let anyone go hungry...but if you dont pay you will not be getting anymore credit ive been lucky so far always get paid maybe not right away not always in cash,but i do get paid.and when the people around here get some cash in hand there always at my place.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
BBQ Grail

Ah! Butte College. Didn't like doing business with them when I lived in Chico.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

That is why I uplift Goverment Bids. i.e. Hammer cost $500. That way you can smile at them when they waste your time. As a wise man once said, only worry about the things you have power to change, the rest will still be the same mad or glad.

Good Luck & Uplift Next Time and Smile....

Old 07-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Got to know, did you do the gig?

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

I've done this event before and had trouble getting paid. I was assured that if I turned in an invoice and got a purchase order, I would be paid the day of the BBQ. I showed up ready to cook onsite--they were not prepared to hand me a check---I left. If I had not explained 3 months prior to this event what I expected then I might have stayed and cooked. I was very clear that the "Getting Paid" problem needed to be addressed. Last year I told them the same thing and they gave me a credit card to bill. In 2007 it took 120 days before I was paid.

I have never "not cooked" an event that I was scheduled to do until now.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

Can't Blame you for leaving. They should have had their act together and had a check for you. 120 days before getting paid. That is ridiculous I thought management companys were bad. At least I get paid with in 60 days.

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

From a legal standpoint, does your contract have terms on it? Do you have conditions for outstanding debts? My contracts have clauses that state the half now, half at delivery, but they also include a sentence stating the APR of outstanding debt accrued after 10 days. This ensures that I get my money for farking with them if I need to go to court. This is a business, not a farking love fest.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote