Is this forum going the way of other forums

Merl

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am just asking your opinion.

Is this forum going the way of other forums?

From my perspective, more and more post could be a try out for the Jerry Springer show. Members blasting mods. Mods blasting members.

Do we need mods to a moderator for the mods?

Is this what this should be about. Is this really about bbq information or another online enquirer.

I see this as a sad turn for a great forum.

Just my thoughts.
Merl

I'm with Rub - haven't been reading as much as I had in the past, but in what I have read I haven't seen it. I usually check out Q-Talk and New Posts which is how I came across your post. Perhaps it's happening in a particular sub forum??

I know I've been a little light on the forum the past few weeks but I have seen it either. What did I miss?

I also haven't seen that. I have seen it be just exactly the opposite, in fact. Members helping members, Mods helping members and not being 'power savage' about it... Merl, can you cite any actual examples of this?

Well merl since you asked. The only place where I have seen the forum go to sh it is where you and candy were bickering like ashholes on this thread---> http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84400 other than that business as usual. You guys should be embarrassed, you got a lot of balls calling out this forum

cant agree at all on that
there will always be some pissing contests on forums..but I think out of all the BBQ forums I frequent this one has the least amount

From my perspective, more and more post could be a try out for the Jerry Springer show. Members blasting mods. Mods blasting members.

Is this what this should be about. Is this really about bbq information or another online enquirer.

Just my thoughts.
Merl

Was this post meant for another Web site forum???

I haven't seen this at all. In fact, this place is light years ahead of every other forum in terms of how well it is fairly moderated, and in how well members behave. Perhaps you are confusing another forums posts with this one?

I sure hope this forum isn't being called out for having frank discussions about KCBS board events as some sort of defensive move to try and discredit these forums as a valid source of information.

Just my thoughts.
Merl
and thier go's the last bit of respect i had for the BOD. Thought you were better then this Merl !

Which moderator(s) did you have in mind? Based on some of my recent comments, I'm guessing that I've made the list.

If you take issue with comments that I have made as a "member" I'd suggest that you address me as a member. That's how I will treat you. If you choose to call out a moderator or the moderators as a group, I'll be happy to address that issue as a moderator. The forum rules are clear when it comes to calling a moderator out in public.

That being said, I live my life according to Big Boy Rules. You are more than welcome to bring any and all issues to me in any form your choose. I've got no problem accepting responsibility for my actions.

Merl - The beauty of this forum is that folks can have debates, and get into minutea on methods, etc, and 9 times out of 10 it does not get out of control. Or at the end of the day, its just like an old buddy brawl, after you are done fightin' , you get up dust yourselves off and buy each other a round. THAT is the difference.

On "other" forums, your post would have already been deleted before I had a chance to read it. This place isnt a pulpit for anyone. It is open exchange and free flow of info... and sometimes that can get heated.

We are all adults here and enjoy the banter that happens in the normal course of things.
Hats off to our mods, and the majority of the members who keep this place the way I like it. I'm not around nearly as much these days, just been too busy.... is it always a place I look FORWARD to being on when I jack into the old internet.

Geez... thanks Merl..

Makes me feel like the countless hours I and the rest of the moderator team spends reading and cleaning up occasional messes is a waste of time.

Your issues point more to a KCBS issue than a forum issue.. I think it's time to look at the common denominator.

Seldom do I run out of the proper words, but:

I am just (almost) speechless over this thread.

And, BTW, it belongs in Woodpile (most likely) or D & R at best.
Nothing to do in any way, shape, or form to Competition.

TIM

I think I understand where you are coming from Merl, but for me, the main reason that I am a paying member of this forum is because I don't see very much of that sort of thing on it. It has been my experience that members who are just here to cause trouble and flame anyone they can usually get weeded out pretty quickly by the people on this forum who want to have real discussions about BBQ.

Having said that, I do think that it is completely valid and legitimate for members and moderators to engage in frank and honest discussion about things that affect this hobby/sport. There is no reason why these discussions should not involve subject such as unhappiness with BOD policies, methods, politics etc. Obviously, in an ideal world these discussions should stop short of getting adversarial and personal, but we are all human, and tend to lash out when we get our feelings hurt. Also, some people just really like to stir things up and watch the chaos ensue. Personally, if I see a thread degenerate into that sort of ugliness, I simply stop following that one. This forum is diverse enough to offer plenty of other threads to participate in.

As for this forum going the way of other forums, I agree with Bigabyte. This forum is infinitely more civil than any other one I have ever seen, and while it may not be perfect, I am willing to put up with the occasional jerk in order to be a part of the best, most informative, cooperative, and friendly forum on the web.

Back