MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
jeffreywp1
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking Seasoning New Smoker

I'm picking up a new smoker and will be seasoning it this weekend. What is the best oil to use and should I season the outside?

Thanks
Jeff
jeffreywp1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome Jeff. What kind of smoker did you get?

I use a couple few cans of Pam on the inside. Some people use bacon grease, lard, etc. Depends a lot on the size of smoker. On the outside, again, I use high temp Pam.

I'm sure others will have different options
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

10W-30 I wouldn't season the outside. Welcome to the Brethren! Good to have ya here.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Most people use the spray oil (Pam). Spray everything inside including racks. Try to stay right at 250 for at least the first couple of hours, this will help cure the new high temp paint also. Don't build a raging fire in the F/B to start. I was told this by my pit builder and the paint on my offset is lasting great, even on the F/B. Some people spray the outside also, some don't.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

I use crisco. No sure what is in pam. Just the inside.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Drake
Full Fledged Farker

I used vegetable oil in a spray bottle for the inside. I just started seasoning the outside. On the outside I used mineral oil. Thats what I use on my cast iron and works great and looks good so far.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Any good food grade oil, crisco or lard; the higher the smoke point the better. I've found a generic brand spray canolla oil that I've been using for convenience. Flax seed oil is great but a little pricey.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
AlwaysSmokey
is One Chatty Farker

I just hit the cook racks with a lil' spray oil,... buyer's choice. I let time and use season the inside, and I have never put anything on the outside of a smoker besides some touch up paint every now and then.
Congrats on the newbie. Thats always a good feeling.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Pam works for me, but any food quality oil in a spray bottle would work just as well. LIke dwfisk said, the higher the smoke point the better.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #10
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I like lard (wipe in with a rag). It really gets deep into the metal.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
tsimm15
is one Smokin' Farker

I've just gone with Pam and had no issues.
tsimm15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
bimmerdad
Got Wood.

I was wondering if you use the Pam on outside of the grill, is it okay to put a cover over the grill? Will the Pam somehow make the cover deteriorate faster? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_connoisseur View Post
Welcome Jeff. What kind of smoker did you get?

I use a couple few cans of Pam on the inside. Some people use bacon grease, lard, etc. Depends a lot on the size of smoker. On the outside, again, I use high temp Pam.

I'm sure others will have different options

Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I used vegetable oil in a spray bottle for the inside. I just started seasoning the outside. On the outside I used mineral oil. Thats what I use on my cast iron and works great and looks good so far.
Where do you get your spray bottle to spray oil? I've tried it before and the oil didn't spray out very well :)

Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #14
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

We used to by generic spray bottles sold in bathroom and home sections of your grocery stores. We used this for tanning and put baby oil and water in it. It sprayed fine.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
Drake
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Where do you get your spray bottle to spray oil? I've tried it before and the oil didn't spray out very well :)
I got it at the grocery store where I bought the oil. I think it was in the section with all the oil but Im not sure. It was one of the tall bottles not the little short ones. Picked it up for a buck. Worked great
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote