• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Butt..

salth2o

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
pulled pork is my desired result. I have smoked lots of different meats, but this is my first go with a pork butt. I intend to cook 1.5 hrs per pound at 225F, hoping to get the meat to about 190F before pulling it off the smoker. Right now it is coated with my favorite pork rub and I plan on spraying it with apple juice every hour or so. Hopefully it will be on the pit in an hour or so.

Any tips or advice will be appreciated.

That's pretty much what I do. However, I do inject with AJ before smoking. And I don't spritz.

Time and temps though are dead on for me. Are you planing to rest the the smoked butt for a time before pulling?

Don't forget the pictures? If this is your first butt we need to check it out.

I figured I would rest the smoked butt for at least an hour. What do you recommend?

Pictures will be forthcoming. The Redhead thinks I am crazy for taking pics of the stuff I cook.

I like to foil mine and stick it in the cooler for a couple of hours before pulling.

What ^ he said, don't forget to wrap w/ towels in cooler, will stay hot for another 3 hrs or so...
not sure what you're using to cook, but PP is hard to mess up....(finding wood to knock on! LOL!)

Sounds like a good plan... I wouldn't spritz at all for the first six hours or so, but that is just me.

I've got to agree with Gator I don't want the pit opened for anything for as long as possible. I've never really felt the need to spritz butts during the cook anyway.

I am using one of these with some hickory and oak and will prolly wait a few hours before spritzing.

Why the spritz?

??? I read somewhere that someone liked doing it that way. I am venturing through uncharted territory for me and just trying to put together a game plan.

Fat side up?

The spritz really isn't needed on the pork butt. But foiling after the temp platau will speed the cook up and provide you lots of great juices to mix into the pork as you pull it.

You'll be fine. Unless you are competing, most butts come out great and you can always cheat with sauce for more flavor.

Jeff

Fat side up?

I've done up and down. And for the most part can't tell the difference. I think if you don't have a heat shield in your off-set I might try it fat down the first time.

I think you will find the plateau to be around 150-160

Paul

Can't underestimate the value of a remote probe thermometer. Makes life so easy. Mine has a transmitter and a indoor receiver. 10 degrees before ready, it says " your food is almost ready". But then, I like to sleep on overnight cooks.

Have Fun!!!!

Can't underestimate the value of a remote probe thermometer. Makes life so easy. Mine has a transmitter and a indoor receiver. 10 degrees before ready, it says " your food is almost ready". But then, I like to sleep on overnight cooks.

Have Fun!!!!

That sounds like a good investment. However, tonight I will be up for a while. I am going back to school (PhD) and have a paper due soon.

Back