Need New Fire Grate for my pit

RX2006JE

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a pit maker that would build and ship a heavy duty fire grate like a lang fire grate. I know that lang will make them but they will not ship.

I'm sure Ritch at Gator would do it. Tell him what you want or show him a pic/diagram and he'll take care of you. He built a door for my brick smoker.

I agree Ritch would. I would also consider finding a local welding shop and having them cut and weld some angle and expanded metal...

Does anyone know of a pit maker that would build and ship a heavy duty fire grate like a lang fire grate. I know that lang will make them but they will not ship.

I'm not sure what the lang HD fire grate looks like, but I would think because of the weight the freight charges would be as much as a grate. I think I would just go to a local weld shop give them some dimensions and a picture and see how much it would cost....

My problem is finding a thick enough expanded metal for the grate. I have seen the one that lang builds and it is thick and would last a long time. All that is available around here is pretty thin and would burn through pretty quickly. I even went to a local trailer building shop and got some expanded metal from them and it is not very thick. I may contact rich and see what he thinks he could do.

I thought we were talking heavy duty...expanded metal is not heavy duty in my opinion for a fire grate. If its just a expanded metal fire grate, then shipping shouldnt be too bad.

Last edited:
That grate is nicely done, but nothing special. Any backyard welder can put something like that together fairly quickly and easily. The hardest part of that will be finding a small enough (inexpensive) piece of grating. I recently made a new fire grate for my Lyfetyme smoker. I used some 1/2" rod and a couple of pieces of 2" angle to make the grate. Floor grating would have worked better than the rod, but it does work, and should take a while to burn through. I would just find someone local to weld it up. It shouldn't cost too much, and you might bump into a guy that will do it on the side for a few bucks and a case of beer.

I am having a new firebox grate done for my Good One. It will be custom and made with heavy gauge expanded metal. I will need to put expanded metal with smaller hole on top of it so I don't lose too much charcoal. I can't believe you don't have someone near that would be able to help you out.

You are in Anniston, and I am in Atlanta. I made the same offer to Lake Dogs- If you want, I'll be back down and can pick up a grate from Ben in two weeks. You just find a way to meet me somewhere.

Ben doesn't ship, as the shipping is equal or more than the actual grate.

You should be able to find someone local to make you one out of 1/2 inch round rod and angle, if you want it to last forever use stainless. This will work better than expanded metal.

Back