advice on competition campers

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Looks like I will be able to get a camper for comps this summer. However, I'd also like something that I can use with the family. I wonder if any of you have any thought about pull behinds vs. class b or c campers?

In Des Moines this last week I think we would have been screwed if we would have had a class c camper because by the time we got there there was little room to maneuver. However, having something to drive rather than pull would cut out a lot of prep and might be nicer for the family.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I keep thinking a class c for us. I could pull the comp trailer, or the boat for vacations.

Where does your cooker ride?

Monty, that is why I got the toyhauler I have. To do both. I like the fact I have a separation between the living quarters and the garage area. On the down side it is still pretty big and I do have to get places early. If I had a tow behind smoker like your's I would look into a class C with a toy hauler. Then you can still tow and use the back for either a kitchen or when not at a contest additional sleeping or play area.

Do you own a truck large enough for a pull behind?
If so, are you willing to take 2 vehicles to every comp?
If not, you're adding another engine to maintain either way and since you have a tow smoker a class C sound like the right way to go.

But either way, getting a large trailer or camper often means you need to get to the competition earlier so you have room to maneuver. I didn't realize how many teams start arriving on Thursday until I got our 24' trailer this year.

We keep tossing around the idea of a toy hauler. I like the idea of a Class C but then I see the prices :shock: I am looking casually at pull-behind toy haulers but I would really like on with a separate garage, but finding one of those that i can pull with my 1/2 ton and in the right price range isn't easy (so far).

If you are going to continue to use the offset you could look at a Class B also. Space may be ,imite to carry the accessories, but they are typically less than a Class C

Don't be afraid to look at used class C rigs... the bottom has fallen on the RV industry and there are some killer deals out there right now. I almost wish I was in the market to upgrade to a larger class c toyhauler right now... As there are some real good deals out there.

Scottie

I was regretting having bought a bumper pull trailer last year instead of bumping up a little bit and getting a fifth wheel toy hauler untill last weekend.

Trying to get into the field at the Variety club in Memphis was difficult on Thursday due to the weather. When I got stuck, we just dropped my trailer and hooked the trailer to the tractor and they set me in my spot in less than 30 minutes. Then they pulled my truck out with the tractor. Shortly afterwards Mason Dixon Swine arrived with a big fifth wheel toy hauler on a dually truck and got stuck in the same spot I did. It took over 3 hours and several different tractors/jeeps/4WD trucks all hooked together to get them into their spot.

If you really want to use it for family vacation too, i would recommend a TT toy hauler.
Are you and you whole famliy going stay at the campground the entire time your on vacation? Unless you pull a car behind, you won't have anything to drive.
And what if you forget the garnish at comps or your ribs are bad and you need to go get more?

Anyway, thats the reasons I went with a TT. I can pull mine with a half ton with no problem. And their easier to back in than you would think. I didn't get a chance to see you a the Q'lossal but if you were walking about you may have saw my Toy hauler.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BBQMayor/QLossal?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmZ77X90NyO9AE#5344760481148799250

I've never had a problem without having my car with me at contests or at a campground... If we are at a campground, we usually have our bikes... If we are at a contest and we need something, most teams will either offer up what they have for us to use or let me use their vehicle... Never have had to use someone's vehicle though...

the prices on those rigs have really dropped Ron. You can find that same price but with a lot less miles. I saw one this spring that was a '02, with 22k miles on it for $30k... Throw some nice cabinets in the back, add a couple of tables and a commercial Coke fridge and you have my set-up... Oh and a FE and a FEC for cookers... Well, I guess I also have one of my Honda generators too. I just don't like the vibration of the on-board Onan. Plus, the Honda's are a heck of a lot quieter...

We pull the Toy Box and the Trailer Pit behind that
Aint no backin up but its all there in one trip

I like pulling the smoker with my class A. It's a no brainer for the way we use it. I can also see a great advantage to having a toy hauler too.

We picked up a 34' 5th wheel toy hauler over the winter and replaced our big offset cooker with an FEC100. The wet weather and muddy fields have caused a few problems but overall we're very happy with it. Sure has made life easier once we get set up.

We keep tossing around the idea of a toy hauler. I like the idea of a Class C but then I see the prices :shock: I am looking casually at pull-behind toy haulers but I would really like on with a separate garage, but finding one of those that i can pull with my 1/2 ton

I purchased a outback for several different reasons. I liked the garage up front with the ramp on side (not cooking in the alley) like some of the rear ramp models.
Its 1/2 ton towable
28' long when opened, 23 for driving.
I leave 90% of my comp stuff packed, makes it easier for sure.

Heres a link http://www.holmanrv.com/inventory/55704/index.aspx

I bought a Gulf Stream 32' Endura,basement model.It has tons of lighted/insulated storage. I pulled a 18' toy hauler w/ two Med. Spicewines,but if you have a towable smoker it would be perfect. My rigs didn't fit in a 20 x 40 space.

Back