Cooking HOH Brisket for a native Texan (awesome pr0n)

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK, I have a native Texan staying at the house for 4 days!

She grew up in the Tex-Mex environment of San Antonio and in the heart of Texan BBQ, in Austin!
I had to pull together an awesome dish to match those expectations up here in IL.
I thought about it and decided to cook my first packer brisket from Sam's.
I got a 15 pounder and seasoned it for 24hrs using BlueDog's 333 method (1/3rd cup salt then pepper and garlic powder).

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Then, after 24 hours, I washed off the 333 and covered it in Big Ron's HOH and worchester.

I fired up the UDS with red bag (USA) RO lump and mesquite chunks and let er rip. it cooked for 12 hours as we slept. The maverick woke me up 3 times to tend to temp issues and foiling at 167F.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

And into the cooler
10.jpg

2.5 hours later (in cooler)
11.jpg

My super sharp (BBQ Pit Boys) "Old Hickory" knife kicked butt. I just pressed it down thru the meat and she sliced like buddah
12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

And now for the scary part. How does it stand up to a native Texan who's first food was refried beans and who eats Austin BBQ regularly????

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

SCORE!!!!!!!
Thanks Big Ron!!

Guess what we had for breakfast?!?

Awesome - a couple of your grill images look like quite the witches cauldron. Well, I guess BBQ is magic after all...
Can you explain the reasoning behind the 333 rub/rinse/rub method please?

Bluedog (on 2 other sites) is always talking about his 333 method but after 24 hours, the strong garlic smell scared me and I noticed the salt was brining the brisket and it was turning grey in places. I decided to go with big Ron for the actual cook.

Bluedog (on 2 other sites) is always talking about his 333 method but after 24 hours, the strong garlic smell scared me and I noticed the salt was brining the brisket and it was turning grey in places. I decided to go with big Ron for the actual cook.

Interesting.....

Are your briskets just as falling apart when you don't do the rinse off method?

LOL good looking brisket bud nice and juicy from the pic's brotha, I loved seeing the lil native Tex-an as your harsh critic THx for sharing :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I am a bone-deep Texas woman, and I would hit that in a heartbeat! Good job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back