MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad
Default Question on St Louis cut ribs

I've been trying my hand at St Louis cut ribs lately, and have a question about the "squaring up" part. If I start at the biggest rib and cut a straight line from there, there'll sometimes be the little round cartilage pieces left where the smaller ribs are. Is this ok to have in a competition? Or do I need to redo the cut to get rid of those? Thanks!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

A lot of teams remove all of the cartilage and square up the corners from that point. As a CBJ, if I get a good rib then I score it accordingly whether it's ST Louis style or not. But, that's just me.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Square them up the way you described and you're all set. Take your ribs for turn-in from the middle of the rack and you'll be OK. The cartilage only turns up in the last few ribs and you won't be using those anyway. And besides, the judge will be taking one bite from the middle of the rib. Good luck!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
cpw
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the tips. I was never really sure about what to do with the little leftover cartilage pieces.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA

Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Thanks for the tips. I was never really sure about what to do with the little leftover cartilage pieces.
Some comp teams throw them away and some cook them and eat them or give them away to friends or both.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
Square them up the way you described and you're all set. Take your ribs for turn-in from the middle of the rack and you'll be OK. The cartilage only turns up in the last few ribs and you won't be using those anyway. And besides, the judge will be taking one bite from the middle of the rib. Good luck!
What Bob said. You should be doing more than 1 rack for comps, so the ends with cartilage should be extras.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
cpw
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the help guys. Ive got a comp coming up this weekend where they supply the meat, so hopefully they will provide more than one rack.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA