Need some opinions on AR spot?

luckyduk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Deadline for entry into the AR is the 6th, was thinking of getting into if room left. I was wondering what sites are better? I will be there with pit, vehicle and tent, no camper or anything. I looked at the map and the "A" sites are everywhere? Just curious? Also when would be the latest to show up? Friday?

You probably won't have a whole lot of choice. Very likely they'll put you in the 200-400s - Lot A. It's commonly known as the Dark Side. Not sure where that exact term came from, but it's where the majority of the parties are. Friday night parties go to about midnight, maybe 1 am. On Saturday a few spaces might have some parties, but they are generally more tame and unless you are very unfortunate, should be quit enough to go to sleep by 11-12.

If you are given an option, the bottom side of the map has train tracks and they slowly roll through very often. The further to the left of the map, the further from turn ins.

Sorry I can't be of too much help as you're going to be limited due to your first year and timing of entry.

Thanks Bd for the response, kind of what I was looking for. As for sleep I normally do not get much.
Would everyone advise getting there no later than Friday sometime?

You definitely want to be there by Friday.

The event opens to the public Fri evening. I think at 5 and if memory serves me correctly they do not let vehicles in at that point. By 6:30 it's got a ton of people walking through.

Check arbbq.com. An official schedule should be posted with times they let vehicles enter and exit. In Lot A, many teams (sponsors) bring in all kinds of landscaping items (retaining walls, trees, fencing, etc) so it can be difficult to get to a spot for the larger trailers. Sounds like you personally won't really have that problem, but you may have to be patient to get others to move out of the way if they are setting up.

Trailers start showing up as early as Wed. I believe. I'd get there early Fri. morning at the latest to get everything in with the least amount of hassle. If memory serves, we had to have vehicles out, and everything in place by 3 PM on Friday two years ago when I was there last.

Yeah, they were towing cars shortly after 3pm if they were not completely inside a spot.

You probably won't have a whole lot of choice. Very likely they'll put you in the 200-400s - Lot A. It's commonly known as the Dark Side. Not sure where that exact term came from,
It was under the overpass so no sunlight. Then the parties started and it took on a whole new meaning. What happens on the dark side stays on the dark side. I've heard stories......

Deadline for entry into the AR is the 6th, was thinking of getting into if room left. I was wondering what sites are better? I will be there with pit, vehicle and tent, no camper or anything. I looked at the map and the "A" sites are everywhere? Just curious? Also when would be the latest to show up? Friday?

WOW!! Justin, pretty bold just shruggin your shoulders and head for the Royal!!
Hell, I won't even go there to judge it's so scary...
Well actually I will just not till I grow up.
Ed

Thanks for the info, now if work will cooperate :mad:
The wife and I were thinking of going down just to spectate, I told her why not compete? I got a day to get it figured out

Don't feel bad, we just registered today also. Waiting for our spot number. Figure we'll need a taxi to get over to the Brethren area for the festivities. :rolleyes:

Bring your bicycle - great for getting around during the mornings/afternoons or overnight. Not so great during the crowds.

It was under the overpass so no sunlight. Then the parties started and it took on a whole new meaning. What happens on the dark side stays on the dark side. I've heard stories......

I've SEEN those stores. Cost me $20, but I seen 'em. :becky:

Back