MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
cdoink
Found some matches.

Default Question about UDS Lids?

Hi there,

I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post so go easy on me.

I'm about to begin a UDS build with a open ended barrel I managed to pick up that was used for syrup. It comes with the flat lid which I plan to use for the time being but I was also interested in eventually adding a kettle lid so that I can add another rack and have a little extra room.

I have seen the Kingsford, Weber, Uniflame and BBQ Grates lids mentioned on different threads/forums but in most cases they are being used with closed ended barrels and not the open ended ones.

My question is: Are any of these lids likely to fit an open ended barrel without modification or will I likely have to modify it to fit? Any advice would be much appreciated.
cdoink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

So your drum has a bottom and a flat lid? Mine had a flat lid also and I used a weber lid but I had to bend out the lip just a little. From what I've read (including the WHOLE UDS thread) they are ALL trial and error. Good luck. But you may just like the flat lid better. I hardly ever fill both of my racks, but the dome lid looks cool.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
fshnwiz
Knows what a fatty is.

A weber should fit with just minor adjustments. I used the lid from an old Happy Cooker but I had to install an inner ring to support it right. No big deal though I just bent my metal strip to fit the inside of the barrel and pop riveted it in place. Worked really well.
fshnwiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
regionalceleb
Got Wood.

It took me roughly 20 mins to slightly bend out the lip of my Webber. worth it though. Find I have better control over temp with it then I did with the reg lid from my drum
regionalceleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Dylan's Dad
On the road to being a farker

I'm a flat lid guy myself. I would put together the basic build with a grate 8 inches from the top and try it out for a while. If you find that you really need more space on a regular basis then go in search of that perfect dome and add the extra grate. The weber kettle lid seems to be the best fit for most. Just my .02

With a little 'bling' a flat top can rival any dome!

Dylan's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
cdoink
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Looks like I'll stick with the flat top for the time being and see if I can find a weber lid on the cheap at some point.
cdoink is offline   Reply With Quote