Anybody ever smoke beef tongue?

tkuehn5410

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was at the store and was looking for something out of the ordinary to try and picked up a couple of beef tongues and want to know if anyone has a good recipe to try for smoked beef tongue?

I never heard of anyone doing it but I would think you would have to wrap it in bacon or something there is no fat on it.

I never heard of anyone doing it but I would think you would have to wrap it in bacon or something there is no fat on it.

Nor in it. Could turn out too dry.

You have to employ a culinary technique known as 'frenching'. :tongue:

You can incorporate bacon into the mix as you feel necessary.

Of course, I am being a big dumbazz. I've never prepared beef tongue. Tastes good though. They call it lengua here in our local mexitown.

Oh yeah, I do. Give it a try. You will be shocked at the number of folks that like it. On tacos, appetizers or just a cold sandwich with good mustard and a pickle. Here is a snip from my site that shows how I do them. (and yes, a little bacon is a nice topper).

BEEF - Smoked Tongue

08f05c31.jpg

Tongue
Water
Beer – 1 bottle
2T chopped garlic
2 green onions, chopped
2 bay leaves
1t salt
2t black pepper

Soak tongue in salted water for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Drain and replace with fresh cold water and continue to soak overnight, changing water once more.

Remove from the refrigerator and simmer soaked tongue in water and beer to cover, with the seasonings above for 1-1/2 hours.

Remove tongue to cool, then peel skin and trim fat. Season with a no-sugar beef rub, paint with a coating of mustard, add a little more rub.

4a733215.jpg

Set up cooker for barbecue temperatures no higher than 250°, using pecan and apple wood. Add a slice of bacon on top. Prepare a basting sauce with apple juice, cider vinegar, oil, salt & pepper. Turn and baste every 30 minutes, moving the bacon to the topside on each turn. In about 2 hours the internal temperature will be 150°. Remove & cool.

Serve, sliced thin with horseradish sauce and/or ground mustard as an hors d’oeurve or on sandwiches.

Traditionally, tongue is usually "cold smoked", I have a recipe somewhere, will look for it and post it later.

Nice recipie post Thirdeye, I'll be giving that a try.

I will use your method thirdeye. I actually came up with your site and recipe when doing a google search yesterday, and that was the best one that I'd found which qualified for what I was wanting to do.

Back