MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #16
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

Might be off topic...but does this contest still count as a qualifier? There were 25 teams, but not all 25 teams were judged in all 4 categories.

I have seen a few people say some rules were altered this year so that contests can't get to 25 teams by having a few guys come cook chicken and/or ribs only.

Do you have to have 25 teams in all 4 categories to be a qualified State Championship?
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #17
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Actually, I've been kinda waiting for someone to bring this up.

Mike and Teresa Lake were the reps for this comp. Being we were the team that didn't get in the brisket entry, we made sure to talk to both of them before we left about this exact situation - we realized immediately what it caused.

Mike said he would bring it up and see what could be done. I got the feeling that he's hoping that it will be considered an official comp since the team that did not get the brisket turned in on time also had 2 calls and they (we) also brought the brisket to the turn in table, but it was 40 seconds late. And an average brisket score to put us in the top 10 overall.

Those of you who competed in Waucoma, trust us we feel worse about this possiblity then how it effected our finish.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not sure of all the political aspects of this but you were there, paid your fees and competed in all four catagories. In my mind your entry was DQ'd but was still there.
I hope for all concerned this works out well.
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

No matter how it turns out, you guys had no intention of doing it. Hopefully, KCBS will consider it a full contest. Keep your chin up guys.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
Shotgun
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
Congratulations also to Shotgun! Way to go Jay!
Thanks Matt, it was a good contest. they did a great job getting the park in shape. Bobby and Don did a great job themselves just to bad about the brisket. Next time guys.
Good One Marshall
WSM
Weber Kettle
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #21
tboneld
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDon View Post
I'm not sure of the complete top tens, Bob has the results sheet with him.
We finished 8th in ribs and 6th in pork. I think chicken was arounf 17th. Overall we finshed DAL, due to I was 40seconds late for turn in on brisket. We both thought we had time based on our clock but it must have lost a couple minutes over teh night. We have have an atomic clock by the next contest. I felt so sick I thought I was going to throw up. To make it even worse, it was the best brisket I have made all year without a doubt. Lesson learned very painfully.
Hey Don and Bobby, sorry to hear about the brisket. We don't have a clock, at all, need to get one. We usually end up turning in early, which means cold food.) I think they have a decent looking atomic clock at Sams, don't recall the price.
tboneld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #22
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

This might be a dumb question, but doesn't your cell phone work off the atomic clock? I always thought it did and when I've checked my phone against the one they walk around with at the contests, I've always matched exactly.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #23
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Sure ... if I could get service in Waucoma. Farkin' Sprint.

But I knew that would be the case prior to the comp. My cell phone has never worked in Waucoma (my grandma lives there). We always use a standard wall clock due to hands being full and dirty, but I have been known to check it against my cell phone at other locations prior to turn ins to see if it's still right. God know's I'll be doing that from now on - even with an Atomic clock.

No excuses though, we could have walked up to the turn ins with our clock or even asked the people next to us. It was a lesson learned the hard way.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote