MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default Smoked beef round roast

I have a few fresh off the cow beef round roasts in the deep freeze that I wanted to smoke. I got a nice dry rub I use on most beef and pork but I wonder about keeping it juicy. Has anyone tried smoking a roast in a pan of Au Jus? Or should I just rub it down and smoke it dry?
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Cook it to 120 internal and then sear it all around on a hot grill. It will be medium rare. Makes great sandwiches.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Cook it to 120 internal and then sear it all around on a hot grill. It will be medium rare. Makes great sandwiches.

So just smoke it dry with just a dry rub? That sounds pretty simple. I just don't want it to be dry inside.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark
Default Smoked beef round roast

It'll be dry if you try to cook it like a brisket or chuckie.

Do what Ron says. It'll be good.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ron's 120F internal is the key to it being juicy.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What Ron said. No more than medium rare and slice it thin. If you pan it with au jus it will steam into a beef-flavored brick of hard rubber! You can also corn/brine it for corned beef/pastrami.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not being a smart a$$ ,but if they are in the deep freezer,they ain't fresh off the cow.Ypu can cook em many ways.Hot and fast for Pit beef,pull at no more than 120 I.T.Slice it thin for sammies.You can slow cook it at no more than 250 cooking temp with smoke,and pull and do the same.Bottom line,,,,Do Not overcook that cut of beef.Do Not cook it past 120 internal temp.Good luck.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Not being a smart a$$ ,but if they are in the deep freezer,they ain't fresh off the cow.Ypu can cook em many ways.Hot and fast for Pit beef,pull at no more than 120 I.T.Slice it thin for sammies.You can slow cook it at no more than 250 cooking temp with smoke,and pull and do the same.Bottom line,,,,Do Not overcook that cut of beef.Do Not cook it past 120 internal temp.Good luck.

I stand corrected. What I meant to say is they are not store bought meat. My bro in law butchers a cow every year and we split it. So it's farm fresh not store bought pen raised stuff.