Baked Beans

AMoore

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
i want the thick baked beans coming from my kitchen as I get from the restaurants. Can anyone give me any ideas or recipe that would help me make a thick, hardy baked bean dish to go along with my que and cornbread? Thank you

Start with a decent canned bean that you like, drain 1/2 the liquid f rom the can, add chopped onion, chopped green pepper (if you like), chopped brisket or pork, brown sugar and then cook low and slow stirring frequently until hot and the right consistency. Works every time.....

My favorites..
in a skillet and spruce them up with some chopped up Jalapenos or Chipotles in Adobo sauce..
oops forgot to say..
add 1/2 cup of french fried onions and 1/2 cup of Real Bacon bits...

OldElpaso.jpg

1349.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with the cooking for a long time. Canned beans are a good starting point. Add your other stuff. Then cook low and slow and get rid of the liquid.

Do a search here for Keri's Hog Apple beans. Best ever! :thumb:

Drain a fair bit of liquid.

Key thing is smoke them long enough and the liquid will tend to thicken. The smoke flavor is something that makes them a hit, whatever recipe you use.

Another vote for Keri C's. Best damn beans I've ever made, hands down.

i want the thick baked beans coming from my kitchen as I get from the restaurants. Can anyone give me any ideas or recipe that would help me make a thick, hardy baked bean dish to go along with my que and cornbread? Thank you

Other than soaking and cooking the dried beans yourself..

I use "GRANDMA BROWNS BAKED BEANS" which are only cooked white northern beans, no sweetners or additives. They plop out as a solid block, add your pork, bacon, spices, and sweetners to your taste..

I used to boil 10 qt ducth ovens of these and then finish them in the grill or smoker until I found these. I get them from "Wegmans" a grocery strore in NY, PA, NJ, and Ohio. I used to order cases and pick them up in Corning, NY, but now I can get cases locally.

They come in 32 oz and #10 cans as well as smaller cans.

How thick do you want them?

My mom has a recipe that comes out like mashed potatoes. It is that thick. It is good, but quite sweet. It is definitely closer to Boston baked beans than BBQ beans, and is definitely not Southern beans.

CD

Here is my go to baked bean recipie. Absoultely the best I've ever had.

1/2 lb hot ground sausage browned
1 lagre Vidalia onion chopped willted in the grease from sausage
2 (16oz) cans pork and beans
2 (15oz) cans black beans rinsed
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 bbq sauce, 1/3 cup ketchup,1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup molases, 2 tsp chili powder mix in deep foil pan lay bacon on to and bake

Yet another vote for Keri's hog apple baked beans. How can you go wrong with sautéed onions in bacon grease as part of the recipe?

Start with a decent canned bean that you like, drain 1/2 the liquid f rom the can, add chopped onion, chopped green pepper (if you like), chopped brisket , brown sugar and then cook low and slow stirring a very few times
Works every time.....

Add BBQ Sauce, touch of Ketchup, shot of Mustard Lil bit o BBQ Rub
A package of BACON
Into the smoker for couple hours

Back