Smoked Eggs.

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
At Frisco last week one of my neighbors was telling me about smoking eggs. He said just put the whole egg on the smoker for about 45-50 min and it hard boils them. Anyone tried this? He said they get a nice smokey flavor to them .

At Frisco last week one of my neighbors was telling me about smoking eggs. He said just put the whole egg on the smoker for about 45-50 min and it hard boils them. Anyone tried this? He said they get a nice smokey flavor to them .

Anybody actually tried this? The YouTube one says 2.5 hours at 170-200. Primary post says 45-50 (temp?):shock:

Sounds like it might make a mean deviled egg recipe, but would be good to know particulars

I've smoked hard boiled eggs with my top loading Lil Chief many times. I believe the instructions on how to smoke the eggs came with the smoker. Smokes with a cold smoke method. They are good. It takes an hour to cold smoke them. Hickory or alder are good wood flavors. I cold smoke by taking the lid off the smoker and spanning the smoker with a couple of 1"×2"s. Put the smoker rack on the 1"×2"s. Put the peeled, hard boiled eggs on the top smoker rack and cover the rack with the smoker's cardboard box. You'll need a couple of slots or holes in the box to allow smoke to escape. The eggs will turn an amber color after about an hour. They make good deviled eggs or potato salad. The kids like them whole.

The youtube link seems to show the guy using raw eggs. I would be interested to hear from anyone who's done it that way

Anybody actually tried this? The YouTube one says 2.5 hours at 170-200. Primary post says 45-50 (temp?):shock:

I've smoked raw eggs in the shell, as well as peeled hard boiled eggs.

The raw eggs in the shell didn't pick up any discernible smoke, I'm afraid. The peeled hard boiled eggs did, but by the time they had smoke flavor, they had dried out and weren't that good.

I didn't love either result enough to to spend the effort to get the process right.

it seems like the shell would be a barrier for the smoke.

I'm going to try it after I pull my butt off today... all I have is cherry wood.. I figure that ought to taste ok... if the smoke penetrates the shell like the guy on the video claims

I had forgotten about the cold smoked hard boiled eggs in the Little Chief. Pretty good if I remember correctly.

I did these at 225* and they turned to rubber after an hour.
Eggssausageandsirlointipafterone-1.jpg

All very interesting. As an Egg lover I will be monitoing this thread to pick up all the info I can.
I can see how the shell would prevent smoke flavor. I can also see how preboiled & peeled eggs would get dry. I wonder if you filling a drip pan with ice would help.

I would be willing to bet that if you hard boiled then peeled and cold smoked them they wouldn't turn out rubbery,,,,
Just sayin

Gonna boil a dozen eggs this afternoon, then cold smoke them in the Bradley in the AM. I wonder how smoked eggs would work for pickled eggs?

Pickledeggs.jpg

I just put some on. I'll try to wrestle the temp down below 170. The pups think I'm crazy...

Attachments

• Butt & eggs 005.jpg
    Butt & eggs 005.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 403
Do you think that a out side smoke source such as a porky pa would keep the temp low and not turn into rubber ?

Tried this last week. Put raw eggs on and then smoked at 250*. couldn't peal the shells off...to soft. Found a recipe on line that says to boil them just enough to get them solid, not completley done. Crack the shell and then put them on the smoker. Recipe from that dere' Pitmaster Oprah :icon_blush:

Link:
http://www.oprah.com/food/Hard-Smoked-Eggs

Ok, Mine went 1.5 hours at 190, and then into a cold water bath to rest for 30 minutes. They peel fine and they have a slight smoke flavor detectable on the back-end. I only threw on a tennis ball sized chunk of cherry wood for the smoke. Maybe something stronger a mesquite or hickory might impart more flavor

Thanks for all the variety testing my wife loves deviled eggs.
I also make scotch eggs on the smokers. Soft boiled, dusted with bread crumbs then wrap with bfast sausage 4oz per egg dust up with some rub if you want then about an hour and a half

Back