MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Default ChurChurch cook for 300 need advice

Just got asked to cook for a church dinner ... they have 6 Pork Shoulders (bone in) weighing an average of 8.5lbs. They are going to buy chickens this week and were wanting to know how many to get. Estimated they will have 300 people. I know the norm is around 1/2 lb per person... I'm thinking 12 to 14 chickens but want to check with my fellow brethren.

Thanks,
Gerry

Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you serving chicken pieces or pulled?

I think if you have six 8.5 pound shoulders, you're looking at about 25 pounds cooked product. For a two meat service, at 1/4 lb per person, you have enough pork for 100 people.

Pulled chicken, 15 birds by 4 pounds, 60 pounds raw, maybe 40 pounds cooked, feeds 160 people at 1/4 pound each

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

if each person had 1/4 of a chicken you are looking at 75, serve 1/4's dont fool around with pulled,

Old 04-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

1/4 chicken is too much per person, if you have 2 meats. Chicken will end up in trash.
With 2 meats only 1/8 chicken is needed---so I count chickens not pounds. 38 chickens x 8 pieces equals 304 servings. I split chickens or buy split WOGS---then cook them, and then cut them into 1/8's. I prefer to cook larger pieces, so there are not as many to deal with while cooking. If cutting chicken is bothersome to you----then but leg and thigh quarters---they come 10 to a bag----get 15 bags and then separate the legs from the thighs and end uo with 150 legs and 150 thighs or 300 servings. Sometimes leg and thigh pieces are cheaper than whole chickens. Estimating food cost with chicken leg and thigh quarters is easy----leg and thigh bags of ten are always very close to 10 pounds each. I buy them usually for 99 cents per pound--- Chicken cost for 300 people about 150 dollars.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Basically this is my understanding of the cook. The young women go to a summer camp each year - this is a fundraiser dinner for them. The girls (not me) will be pulling/shredding the chicken and pork, then serving it up - as either chicken or pork ... as the dinner is free. The eaters will not get both meats.

I have an R&O smoker, which holds a bit of meat, I worry about space if I get chicken already broken down. I do have a modified Traeger to help with some of the load but it isn't huge. I am trying to round up a couple additional pits for cooking space as well but so far no go.

My biggest concern as priority is making sure I tell them the right amount of meat to buy. 6 shoulders and 14 chickens sounds like it wont be enough.

Thanks,
Gerry

Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Figure 1/3 pound pork and 1/8 pound chicken per person.
300 x .33 = 99 pounds finished product of pork x 2 = 200 pounds raw product
300 x .125 = 37.5 pounds finished product of chix x 1.5 = 57 pounds raw product

assumptions:
1. 50% loss on shoulder from cooking, includes trimming, bone and moisture loss
2. 25% loss on chicken from cooking, includes trimming, bone and moisture loss
3. Not everyone will want chicken, assume about 1 out of 4 plates is all chicken

25 shoulders at 8 pounds shoulder
18 to 20 fryers at 3.5 pounds per bird

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 01:59 AM   #7
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Figure 1/3 pound pork and 1/8 pound chicken per person.
300 x .33 = 99 pounds finished product of pork x 2 = 200 pounds raw product
300 x .125 = 37.5 pounds finished product of chix x 1.5 = 57 pounds raw product

assumptions:
1. 50% loss on shoulder from cooking, includes trimming, bone and moisture loss
2. 25% loss on chicken from cooking, includes trimming, bone and moisture loss
3. Not everyone will want chicken, assume about 1 out of 4 plates is all chicken

25 shoulders at 8 pounds shoulder
18 to 20 fryers at 3.5 pounds per bird

Dangit Landarc, you beat me to the numbers. Spot on imho.

You could throw in some Atomic Armadillo Eggs just to get things heated up!!!!