MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Wneill20
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Ribs with a strange smell

I had a catering gig this past weekend and when i open one of the cryovac the ribs had a strong oder to them, i have smelt this with pork butts but never with ribs. i wash them off and everything smelt ok after cooking one rack smelt like fish so i pulled it and threw in the trash. Have you ever had this happen ?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wneill20 View Post
I had a catering gig this past weekend and when i open one of the cryovac the ribs had a strong oder to them, i have smelt this with pork butts but never with ribs. i wash them off and everything smelt ok after cooking one rack smelt like fish so i pulled it and threw in the trash. Have you ever had this happen ?
smelt like fish?

smelt is fish

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

No. But you did the right thing by throwing them away!
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
stokestackbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I see this all the time when using grocery store ribs. Usually, I give 'em a good wash under cold water. Normally this gets rid of the smell (usually is coming from the ends of the bones) but if it doesn't, I toss 'em.
stokestackbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
57borntorun
Full Fledged Farker

Usually a quick salt-water brine removes the rancid fluid stench that is notorious with wet aging in pork.Sometimes when you freeze and thaw and do it again through Osmosis the spoiled fluid makes it was back into the partially broken cells in the flesh in a sealed environment such as cryovac.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
PigxelPerfectBbq
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

This happened to me at my first comp... talk about dissapointment. At first I thought it was just bc I had been up for 24 hrs already and the stench of raw meat that early in the am just hit me the wrong way. But I knew it turned my stomach a little too much. Needless to say I almost threw up when I took the first test bite, tasted like bad fish (and it wasnt the cook lol) Luckily I had bought 2 spares and 2 BB the BBs went bad.
PigxelPerfectBbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Blowfish BBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

It's so hard to think about throwing away meat. I have also had this happen to me on the day of a big cook. It's always better safe than sorry.
Blowfish BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote