MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Noob
On the road to being a farker

Default trimmed my first packer, 2 quick questions

So i trimmed and rubbed my first packer. It started at 12.9 lbs and i trimmed off 37.5 oz of fat. Is it normal to cut just over 2 lbs of fat? The HARD fat on the underside of the point was 16oz by itself. Also since I am now left with a 10.55 lb brisky, do i adjust cooking times to the new weight or the pre-trimmed weight? I am guessing 1 hr/lb at 250°.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

I think most people will say to throw your timer out the window and cook it til it's done. In other words when it's jiggly or probes smooth like butter. Ay estimate of time someone gives you is just going to be that, an estimate. Cook her til she's done. Good luck!
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Big Portagee
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogee View Post
I think most people will say to throw your timer out the window and cook it til it's done. In other words when it's jiggly or probes smooth like butter. Ay estimate of time someone gives you is just going to be that, an estimate. Cook her til she's done. Good luck!
Right on the money, too many variables to give a set time. Start 2 hours before you want to serve and wrap in foil and towels. Will stay warm for hours.
Big Portagee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Portagee View Post
Right on the money, too many variables to give a set time. Start 2 hours before you want to serve and wrap in foil and towels. Will stay warm for hours.
Do you mean 12 hrs?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Trim as much as you want, leave a nice cap and cook until tender. Hours per pound will drive you nuts. It's not baking

Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Noob

And for the 2nd question, 37.5 oz of fat comming off a 12.9lb brisky, sound right?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
And for the 2nd question, 37.5 oz of fat comming off a 12.9lb brisky, sound right?
I don't weigh it but sometimes it's alot

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
I don't weigh it but sometimes it's alot
Thanks bud

Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It does not sound alarming to me that a lot of fat came off, it all depends on the trim given at the time the animal is initially butchered, some trim closer than others. So, yeah, 2 pounds happens at times.

As for timing, at 250F, if you are trying to time your start, allow 1.5 hours per pound for a packer. That allows for a window of time, if you get done in 10 hours (likely) you can easily hold a packer in a warm oven or cooler for 4 to 5 hours. It gives you a little leeway if you end up chasing temperatures of something goes wrong. You can always adjust for too much time, it is hard to get more time when you have run out.

But, cook to feel, you want to work with cooking to probe tender, that is the best way.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
LittleHill Smoke

Default trimmed my first packer, 2 quick questions

Try searching Pitmaster T brisket and look for his video page in his sig.. Ton of info in his videos and their very entertaining. Also look for his Night Train vid.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It does not sound alarming to me that a lot of fat came off, it all depends on the trim given at the time the animal is initially butchered, some trim closer than others. So, yeah, 2 pounds happens at times.

As for timing, at 250F, if you are trying to time your start, allow 1.5 hours per pound for a packer. That allows for a window of time, if you get done in 10 hours (likely) you can easily hold a packer in a warm oven or cooler for 4 to 5 hours. It gives you a little leeway if you end up chasing temperatures of something goes wrong. You can always adjust for too much time, it is hard to get more time when you have run out.

But, cook to feel, you want to work with cooking to probe tender, that is the best way.

Great advice

Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
landarc

The thing is, the number one mistake I see most first time BBQ cooks make, on all meats, is to under cook. And the number one reason why, is they cut it too close, underestimate how long it takes and everyone wants to eat. Then it is so disappointing. Allow more time, understand when and how you can adjust the factors, it all gets so much easier, but, it all starts with allow enough time.

You get that smoke rolling, and after about 5 to 6 hours, you get that smell of meat and carmelizing proteins and sugars, you get to wanting to eat that BBQ so bad and you rush it, or folks rush you etc...if you ever get to go to a competition, there is this witching hour, between 5 and 7 in the morning, the air is cool, early light, everyone's pork butts and briskets are coming out of the stall, all that smoke and rub and meat, the aroma just hanging in the cool air, man, it is the most beautiful smell, and you know that you want to go look, and it is just not time to eat yet.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

how important is trimming the fat ?
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
landarc

I find that if you don't trim it down to 1/8", I find it is too fatty for my taste. Of course, you can just not eat the fat, but, then all the rub goes to waste. So I trim to 1/8" of the fat cap, which renders nicely to leave just a little fat. The fat chunk between the point and flat, if you don't trim it, it never renders right and then it makes things greasy. No Bueno.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
Bludawg

I used weigh the trim so I had an Idea of the yield. Average trim was about 2.5 lb.Now I don't bother. As to cookin time It's done when it probes tender .I cook a 300 and wrap in BP between 4-5 hrs and done in an average of 6.5 hrs