Brisket Experiment

Fantastic looking brisky! :thumb:
The bark looks awesome and I know I'd kill 4 slices of that easy! :hungry:

Stay sensitive, we like ya like that. :heh:

That's it? That's all ya got? Understatement from Chambers?

The end is nigh.....

Hey Bob, if that gets Fedex'ed to Manito it just might go missing at Memphis International. Just sayin'

I'm a man of few words.

TIME OUT
There is NO Manito brisket T.D. other than the one currently going on in Q-talk. Lord willing, I'll be posting there later today or tomorrow. I honestly don't know if I'll get a single vote on my brisket photo, but I gotta tell ya, with the help of the Brethren, the flavor is out of this world. I'd like to get the folks coming to Manito to try it and tell me what they think, so I may have one done that evening for their input.
TIME IN

The bark really built nicely. To be honest, I was a little concerned with Tom's rub, as I really only had a sample and it didn't seem to build up on application. But, it worked out fine and tastes great. Steph's rubs are, well, Steph's rubs, we all know how good they are.

glad it worked out well - what are your thoughts today about the injection???

I didn't know Tom sold rubs, but you are right...Steph's rubs are well...Simply Marvelous.

I'm curious about the injection also. I like using fish sauce for the extra umami, it actually makes beef taste beefier, if that makes sense, but have never used as much as you specified. Was the and product at all...well...fishy?:roll:

No fishy smell or taste, once you add heat, the fishy smell goes away. You can always add a little acid to dial back that smell. The acid removes the smell and allows the flavor to come through still. This injection was all about pumping up umami, which I think it was successful at. Of course, it is a brisket, so it already tastes like beef.

On edit: I did only use half of the total amount of injection I ended up making, I did not need 3 cups of it. I think that while this brisket tasted great, and I probably could have entered and done well in a competition setting, I don't know that I would necessarily use it, as it is a different flavor profile, then again, it is very savory and had an excellent salt and umami balance. I would have to say that it is definitely something that I will continue to play with as I liked the results.

^^^For thinking it is improper grammar to end a sentence like the above.

Last edited:
It is a colloquial use of the language. That is 'coal loke we'all' for you Guerry.

No fishy smell or taste, once you add heat, the fishy smell goes away. You can always add a little acid to dial back that smell. The acid removes the smell and allows the flavor to come through still. This injection was all about pumping up umami, which I think it was successful at. Of course, it is a brisket, so it already tastes like beef.

Man, you Bay Area people are wild. The Electric Brisket Acid Test? :bounce:

I think we both know who has done the most experimenting with alternate realities and it ain't me.

Back