MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Default Best Wireless Remote Temp Gauge...

I have an Oregon Scientific Grill Right and like it. It has good range, anywhere in my two story house, however I really want to be able to see the grill's internal temp remotely, as well. I have tried the Maverick ET73, but the range really sucks...20 feet through 1 wall...and I don't want to do the mod that many have done to increase their Maverick's range.
So, are there any other alternatives in a similar price range? Can I safely use another Grill Right to monitor grill temp?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
ddward
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Good question. I have the same therm and it sucks. Is there a good remote thermoter?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

The extended range mod for the et-73 is beyond awesome. Takes 15-20 mins to do, and not a lot of $ for the parts needed. After the mod, the et-73 really can't be beat.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

I have an Acu-Rite wireless thermometer. I've been using it for about 3 years. If I remember right, the package said it had a 100' range, but I know I've been at 200' in an open field and still didn't lose the signal. You can find them on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acu-Rite-Wireles...05179350156264

Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
I have an Acu-Rite wireless thermometer. I've been using it for about 3 years. If I remember right, the package said it had a 100' range, but I know I've been at 200' in an open field and still didn't lose the signal. You can find them on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acu-Rite-Wireles...05179350156264
Too bad the pager doesn't show temp though - only let's you know when its reached the target.... I have the ET-71 - works great but range won't let it work in the bedroom, which is only 30' from the deck and there's windows to go through

Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Sorry, that was the wrong product. The Acu-Rite I have displays the temp. I will try to track down a link and pass it along.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Cool - sorry about that - the ebay link has a section at the bottom saying the temp is not displayed like the picture - the pager only sounds..... Good to know temp is displayed - wish I had knew this before buying a et-71 - the acu-rite seems like a much better deal....

Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I was hoping there was someone experienced with antennas on this forum, but I guess there isn't. I went ahead and tried the fix and this is what I found...
First I did the receiver and noticed only a few feet improvement. Next, I did the transmitter and this made a much bigger difference. With both transmitter and receiver done, signal reception improved greatly. Now I'm able to go about 40 to 50 feet away. With the transmitter in the backyard, I am able to go inside, to the front of the house and upstairs and still get a signal. Best reception seems to be at about 40 feet, thru one wall. Still no comparison to my Oregon Scientific Grill Right, but it helps.
One thing I did find out is that it is essential that you have a 90 degree angle on the new antenna before it exits the device on the receiver. Antenna engineering is a field in itself and I'm sure someone with experience in this area could really shed some light on what's going on and what we could do to maximize reception. That said, these two mods did help quite a bit.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
samiam
Knows what a fatty is.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Incr...Q-Thermometer/

Here is a pretty detailed step by step for the mod. The most interesting part to me was the length of the antenna. This guy figured out that 6.7" is the perfect length based on the frequency.

"Why such an exact length? Because antenna length is directly tied to the operating frequency (433.92Mhz) in which the device was designed for. There is a specific formula used to calculate the length which is what I used to derive 6.7". You still may get improved performance with a longer or even shorter antenna, but it won't be maximum efficiency."

^^From the instructions.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darita View Post
Well, I was hoping there was someone experienced with antennas on this forum, but I guess there isn't. I went ahead and tried the fix and this is what I found...
First I did the receiver and noticed only a few feet improvement. Next, I did the transmitter and this made a much bigger difference. With both transmitter and receiver done, signal reception improved greatly. Now I'm able to go about 40 to 50 feet away. With the transmitter in the backyard, I am able to go inside, to the front of the house and upstairs and still get a signal. Best reception seems to be at about 40 feet, thru one wall. Still no comparison to my Oregon Scientific Grill Right, but it helps.
One thing I did find out is that it is essential that you have a 90 degree angle on the new antenna before it exits the device on the receiver. Antenna engineering is a field in itself and I'm sure someone with experience in this area could really shed some light on what's going on and what we could do to maximize reception. That said, these two mods did help quite a bit.
When you soldered on the the right angled part, did you cover all three points or just the one hole? This mod has been posted before, and the OP found that you have to cover all three points for max range ( he got 400+ ft I believe). What I like best about the et-73 is that it lets you set an alarm for a minimum temp, which I have not seen in another similarly priced themo yet.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
igolf2
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the ET-73 - Smoker on deck outside second floor kitchen door back of house - signal is perfect all the way out in front yard - maybe I got a good one?
Turkey Fryer / Clam Steamer
UDS
Moink Certified!
igolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
When you soldered on the the right angled part, did you cover all three points or just the one hole? This mod has been posted before, and the OP found that you have to cover all three points for max range ( he got 400+ ft I believe). What I like best about the et-73 is that it lets you set an alarm for a minimum temp, which I have not seen in another similarly priced themo yet.
Yes, I sure did solder to all three terminals. Maybe I could get 400 ft across an open area, but thru my walls, not that good. It might have to do with all the wireless equipment I have in the house, printer, router, laptop, etc. That said, many, many others have the same problem, so I'm not alone.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

i have a non moded unit and im also able to go from backyard thru kitchen, upstairs and down the hall to bedroom, with few walls inbetween without issue. i guess i too got lucky and got a good one

Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
Dovid
On the road to being a farker

Hi. I'm looking at the PCB on the Instructables mod but I don't see the three holes referred to above. Can you help me please? I just had a failure on a couple of probes on my heretofore ok polder units and I'm itching to go wireless! Thanks!
Dovid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovid View Post
Hi. I'm looking at the PCB on the Instructables mod but I don't see the three holes referred to above. Can you help me please? I just had a failure on a couple of probes on my heretofore ok polder units and I'm itching to go wireless! Thanks!
Its not three holes per se but three pads.

Edit, the link in this thread is actually for the transmitter and that is not what is being referred to. Below is the link for the receiver mod that shows soldering to the three pads.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/sho...fication&p=909
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote