MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Default A little help ona brisket please..........

I had some time to kill so I did a brisket slowly at 245 on my drum. I waited and waited well into the cook to check for butter smooth probe in the point and the thickest part of the flat. I finally achieved the smooth probe in both areas and the thinnest part of the flat never did come around. Question, does the thin part of the flat always react like this(tough)? How do you get past this area being tough when the rest is ready? Do youcontinue on and eventually it softens up? Does this effect the already probe tender point and thicker flat Help a rook please......

Also, I am not a comp cook and have no desire to do that, but, a smoke ring might be nice to achieve. Is there a reason that I can't get a smoke ring on anything I que? I seem to be getting plenty of smoke with my barrel. Any ideas?

thanks much.....

pd
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Charcoal is your best chance at getting a smoke ring. Charcoal produces more of the smoke ring producing chemicals than other types of fuel, according to everything I've read. And, I have no trouble getting a smoke ring using it.

As far as tenderness goes, every brisket is different. But, I have noticed that the point gets tender before the flat. You may want to just cook the brisket until the flat is where you want it. Or, you could remove the point, by cutting through the fat not the lean meat, when you think it's ready and continue to cook the flat.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Default Thanks bo.........

well, I cook with kingsford briq, so I don't know what's going on. I will try the flat a little longer, thanks.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Boshizzle

A gas called nitrous oxide is produced when you burn wood or charcoal. Heat and oxygen turns it into nitrous dioxide. As nitrous dioxide touches moist meat and comes in contact with water in the meat and forms nitric acid. The acid dissolves on the moist meat surface and mixes with water and it forms a nitrate ion. This nitrate combines with the myoglobin in the meat and forms a pink colored line near the surface of the meat. That's what's responsible for the smoke ring. The thickness of the smoke ring is limited by the ability of the nitrate ion to penetrate the meat. The formation of the smoke ring happens early in the cooking process and it requires plenty of oxygen at the fire, moisture on the surface of the meat and a relatively cool meat surface temperature.

You could also rub the meat with Tender Quick for about 10 minutes, wash all of it off and then BBQ it for the same results.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 07-21-2010 at 09:29 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Default hmm plenty of oxygen at the fire......

maybe this is it? I use an egg vent on my barrel, and it is almost entirely shut to maintain temps. Could be this is it?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Boshizzle

It could if there isn't enough oxygen getting in. I use a BGE vent too on my UDS. What I do it, make sure my outlet vent is wide open and let the charcoal burn until there is no white smoke. Then, i crank back on the inlet until it I get the temp I want then I put on the meat. Keep that outlet wide open.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

the thin part of the flat prob came tender and went tough without you catching it.
i wouldn't separate.
use the thin part for burnt ends and be all good.
cold meat=good smoke ring
once your coals are nice and hot, throw on wood, throw on meat, right out of fridge or cooler. don't worry about white smoke with the wood, it'll turn thin blue pretty quick and not affect your flavor.
DEFINATELY do not wait until the thin part gets tender when the thick part already is.
how much wood do you use?
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
the thin part of the flat prob came tender and went tough without you catching it.
I agree with this.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Boshizzle

I'd strongly recommend letting the white smoke burn off before putting your meat in the UDS.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I agree with this.
It could be. However, I have seen brisket with mushy point and flat that was tough because the connective tissue wasn't at the point that it was tender. I don't think that over cooking is what made it tough.

Not saying you are wrong because what you are saying makes sense, but, pigdog wil have to experiment to get to the bottom of it.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

boogie-- I cook with kingsford briq, and 4 fist sized chunks of apple. Maybe I will check a bit sooner to try and catch the whole flat. The rest was terrific and very moist, with the exception of maybe 1/4 of the thinner flat. I did mix it into the point for burnt ends. Need to get the brisket down as my family loves them and the dang things are frustrating to me. thanks for all the great info folks.......

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

bo-- I might let the fire go a bit longer than I have in the past. I get impatient and tend to rush planning dinner etc. I think I may give the hot and fast try a go and see how this goes.

thanks

Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Boshizzle

Good luck, bro. Hang in there and you will be cooking some great brisket. We all had a learning curve but it was worth the journey.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I agree with this.
yes you are right. Let;s go back to the family reunion analogy but instead of your hot 16 year old cousin lets imagine a crusty old body part on one of your distant 80 year old grandaunts.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #15
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I get a pretty good smoke ring with my drum even when I only use 2 or 3 chumks of wood. I cook at 225 or a little less with a 2" exhaust wide open. I dont wait for the drum to come up to temp but i do wait for the white smoke to go away. Also the meat is cold when I put it on.