Kcbs bod agenda 2-05-10

Did someone say Jorgy? I feel dirty just typing that.

(BTW, I still think our KCBS team pages are going to show team results this year. At least they should. Based on the Bullsheet meeting reports, the pages are set up by the database and it would be easy to add.)

You mean people can talk to each other, plan and discuss ideas on the web?
Who would da thunk?

i just meant ... no bad karma... shutting up now. ya right

Whoever, But the

Kirk
Competition
Barbeque
Society

Has to go!
Do you know Paul Kirk? Why do you say he has to go? Maybe some people on this site need to be sending Paul emails asking him why he is doing things the way he does. But make no doubt about it the membership just re-elected him for another 3 year term so instead of basjhing him maybe you need to figure out how to make productive suggestions on what he can do better. If he got a thousand emails about "no report" then maybe we'd see more reports.

And there's an easy way around "no report" and I am going to send the current BOD members an email suggesting they consider implementing it. Instead of "no report" say "Will be reporting on the current status of our committee activities". then in the meeting "say we are continuing to investigate ... it's a long process to complete but we are making some progress".

Ford, why in the heck would you provide the Board with another way to hide behind words and avoid doing the job it's supposed to do?

Ford, why in the heck would you provide the Board with another way to hide behind words and avoid doing the job it's supposed to do?
Why does everybody bash a no report? There's a lot of committees that should probavly only report annually. And some members raise an agenda topic rather than doing a report. I've seen that a number of times.

Some committees need to report monthly, especially finance but I don't see people bashing the treasurer like other BOD members. There's a lot of selective bashing going on.

I have a thought <scary!> since it's likely that any substantive rules will have deferred implementation until January 2011, what about have reps at contests with questionnaires (multiple guess even) getting MEMBER cook team input. Contest evals are passed out now, it'd just be another piece of paper available at a contest. It could be on line for completion with a membership number. Must be a member to have your input matter. Might even get more cooks to join???

I have 15 minutes before I'll be off the computer...is this good or bad?

Last edited:
Maybe Candy But why not have a KCBS Members online forum where input is coming in daily?

Why does everybody bash a no report? There's a lot of committees that should probavly only report annually. And some members raise an agenda topic rather than doing a report. I've seen that a number of times.

Some committees need to report monthly, especially finance but I don't see people bashing the treasurer like other BOD members. There's a lot of selective bashing going on.

Ford LOL
Yes no No Report would be the case some months just not every month

No report infers no work and no work is not what members want to hear. If I had one of my committee chairs reporting month after month with "no report" as chairman I'd be a bit concerned, as a member I'd be pretty po'd. The truth is a report takes 10, maybe 15 minutes, what's the big deal??? And if there is nothing going on this month, then at least hit where you are with current projects and sound excited about the future.

Going back to the possible chicken rule change, if cooks have to put in both dark & white meat, how would that affect judging? Each judge is required to try both? What if the dark meat is perfectly cooked, tender & juicy, but the white meat is dry? So we average it out and the score goes down. I can't see how this would please anyone.
I'm all for variety in chicken entries, but I think it should be up to the competitor to decide what he or she would like to turn in.

• Thanks
Reactions: ov1
Going back to the possible chicken rule change, if cooks have to put in both dark & white meat, how would that affect judging? Each judge is required to try both? What if the dark meat is perfectly cooked, tender & juicy, but the white meat is dry? So we average it out and the score goes down. I can't see how this would please anyone.
I'm all for variety in chicken entries, but I think it should be up to the competitor to decide what he or she would like to turn in.

My gut says some judges would treat it that way, others would give the score of the worst one. Kinda similar to my belief on putting in burnt ends in the brisket - they better be at least as good as the slices or they don't go in.

Would we need to start turning in baby back and spares?

That's just great. The KCBS wants to add propane so they can get Hank Hill as a sponsor.

How does KCBS know whether a member is a cook or not?

<WARNING: Rhetorical question... they don't.>
That's actually pretty easy. You need to provide a KCBS member number and team name to be counted. Maybe it isn't "perfect" but it is a far better indicator of who is a comp cook as opposed to who is just a member.

And I only suggest that exclusivity on rules that directly affect the competition cooks.

Back