Ideas Welcomed?

GA1dad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have an event coming up that includes a Friday night "Anything Butt Pork" category to be judged by local first responders and such. First place gets free entry in next years event. Teams are also "required" to sell and serve the public that night all the while prepping for the main contest which on Saturday morning. The public buys tickets to use at the event and the cooks turn in tickets and keep 100% of their sales. Here's the caveat,,,, you have to serve the public the same dish you turn in to the judges. So on one hand you can make something quick and simple to make it easy on yourself, but risk not winning the ATB,,, or you can go fancy and work your butt off cooking and preparing for the public.

Anybody got an idea of something non-dessert that might be easy, and yet be impressive enough to win?

Thanks in advance!

Well this may be too obvious but what about some really outstanding baked beans?

I think wings are a winner, everyone likes them, you can cook large quantities and you can probably find a unique recipe online that will cause yours to stand out.

For selling to the crowd how many portions of whatever you decide will you plan on making? Are the tickets meant to to buy one serving, or can you charge two tickets if you are selling steak bites for example?

I thought an 'anything but' category was anything except the four main turn-in meats. So, wouldn't that exclude chicken wings since they could be a chicken entry?

Well this may be too obvious but what about some really outstanding baked beans?

Right, like KeriC 's Hog Apple Beans. Every time I serve these I print up copies of the recipe because so many people ask for it. I use home smoked bacon and go heavier on the amount, and use smoked and crumbled fatty instead of plain ground pork or beef. Slightly thinned out Blues Hog Original for the sauce, and Cimarron Doc's for the rub, which I go heavier on too.

My Business Costco had these plastic bags (5lbs?)of pre-made mac & cheese. I just dumped it a large pot, added some smoked paprika, bought a bag of Costco chopped pre-cooked bacon and added some of that, and also some garlic and onion granules. Just doctor it up a little. The kids at the event ate a lot of that! Pretty low cost and low risk, because we just started heating up the next batch in another pot when we put the 1st pot on the serving line. If the crowd starts to dwindle, you don't have a lot of prepped to go to waste. Just put the unopened bags in the freezer.

Congrats on both finding a suitable dish and making money. I love good brunswick stew and that looks great.

You need to decide if you want to cook competition BBQ or vend, can't do both with excellence.
Ed

That's just not true. We have giant event in Vermont (Harpoon BBQ) and there are many nationally ranked KCBS teams that do both. It's not really that hard and we find it fun to have folks able to taste our food. Also a great way to intro folks to comp BBQ.

Back