MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default NB Hondo/Black Diamond & OK Joes Smokers

Looking into a couple CL possibilities. Is the Hondo and BD the same type of cooker? What is metal thickness? And would you guys recommend either one? I'm familiar with the mods it's gonna need. Is is better it better quality and thickness that the Brinkmann S&P I once owned? The owner claims it's new and never been used. Wants 125, but maybe can get it for 100.

Secondly, A guy has an OK Joe Smoker. I know how heavy and thick that bad boy is cause my buddy stole one for around 400, almost new. What are the pros and cons with that model? This guy wants 425, and I offered 225. I douby he'll bite since they run close to 600-700 new and his is in decent shape, but you never know.

Any and all comments, opinions, and farking statements welcome.

I just want to get a little stick burner again.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Having had a NB Silver Smoker for many moons and several campfires, the Hondo and NBBD were also brothers from back in the day. Hondo and NBBD may have been a tad bigger and if memory serves, the Hondo had a flat top on the firebox to heat water etc.
As long as they are the thicker ones (pre charbroil), you can't go wrong with any of the three.
Good luck and enjoy.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
BobBrisket

He says it's only a couple years old, so I'm thinking CharBroil made and probably not as thick. Thanks!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
big brother smoke

I wish you were closer. I have a charbroil offset that I want to give away!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default About your CL finds...........;}-

Hey BB, Saws and had to respond. I have a NewBraubsfeld 'Red River' ,not exactly like what you found, but close. Got mine 15 years ago and it's still in Class "A" shape. Metal is 3/16" and sturdy as everything. The NB Hondo and the OK Joe Smokers are of like material and will last you a long time (unlike the SP you had).LOL
The price seems good, and you'd likely not get a better price on either of them.My opinion is to do what you can to get one,can't go wrong. and for a small sticker, HEY -perfect
Here's a shot of my "Little Girl" :

notice I have Modded to reverse flow and she pleases the heck out of me.

And between her and her 'BIG' Sister , I can do about anything I want...

Hope this helps make your mind up,
good luck and SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka bbqfans
bbqfans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
BobBrisket

Thanks again.

Steph..........if only, Brother!! Thanks though.

Stan--I wish I could find one of those "Big Sisters" for sale on CL. I'm hoping the guy with the OK Joe will respond. Thanks again for the info. THis helps me figure out what it is they are selling.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

The age of that OKJ could also effect the thickness. My first one was 1/4, my second one was 3/16.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Looking into a couple CL possibilities. Is the Hondo and BD the same type of cooker? What is metal thickness? And would you guys recommend either one? I'm familiar with the mods it's gonna need. Is is better it better quality and thickness that the Brinkmann S&P I once owned? The owner claims it's new and never been used. Wants 125, but maybe can get it for 100.

Secondly, A guy has an OK Joe Smoker. I know how heavy and thick that bad boy is cause my buddy stole one for around 400, almost new. What are the pros and cons with that model? This guy wants 425, and I offered 225. I douby he'll bite since they run close to 600-700 new and his is in decent shape, but you never know.

Any and all comments, opinions, and farking statements welcome.

I just want to get a little stick burner again.
If you are only doing ribs, or chicken. If you want to do something larger and have to tend the fire twice as long, then I'd pass.

Which model OK Joe are you looking at?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Chazmo27
Found some matches.

I've always liked the New Braunfels smokers because i'm a fan of the Texas Hill Country but i'm not sure how their quality changed when they were bought by charbroil.
Chazmo27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

if the OK Joe is an oldie (100% welded - no bolt together parts like the legs, box or stack) then his asking price is a bargain.

A lot of places dropped the OK Joe line when they changed the build to include some bolt on parts to make shipping to dealers easier (cheaper).
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey there brother Smoke, wish you wasn't so far away from me, I wouldn't mind having your Offset, Been wanting to get one for the weekend Ques here, I can't afford much, but look at CL everyday, ya never know. Tough to live on the Gov't Blanket.. TC......Bush
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwacker View Post
Hey there brother Smoke, wish you wasn't so far away from me, I wouldn't mind having your Offset, Been wanting to get one for the weekend Ques here, I can't afford much, but look at CL everyday, ya never know. Tough to live on the Gov't Blanket.. TC......Bush

Yeah shipping would be a Biatch