• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Salad as turn in?

Smoking Pill Doc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was talking with the KCBS rep at my last comp about chicken. They threw out the idea of chicken salad. You could add apples, nuts, onions, etc as long as you keep size to 1/8”. Mayonnaise is an acceptable “sauce”. You can add crispy chicken skin as well.

That being said... anyone try it as a turn in option? Can you turn it in cold? If you could turn it in cold, you could cook it up as early as you wanted (post meat inspection of course).

Go for it, I would try it only at a Auto Contest to the Jack, LOL, but seriously, in New England it most likely will tank, I would do it for a NEBS grilling contest. Good luck

Yep, it would be legal, but if you have just one bit that is bigger than 1/8", it could be a DQ. Plus, I'm not sure how the judges would react :-D If would be fun to try :becky:

In 2013 (maybe 2014) at the Santa Anita contest a team next to me turned in chicken salad. The contest had well over 70 teams that year and they finished last in chicken.

giphy.gif

At a contest last year, myself and two buddies did “outside the box” chicken entries (one was chicken salad). While neighbors raved about them, judges thought much differently. All finished at the bottom.

I was talking with the KCBS rep at my last comp about chicken. They threw out the idea of chicken salad. You could add apples, nuts, onions, etc as long as you keep size to 1/8”. Mayonnaise is an acceptable “sauce”. You can add crispy chicken skin as well.

That being said... anyone try it as a turn in option? Can you turn it in cold? If you could turn it in cold, you could cook it up as early as you wanted (post meat inspection of course).

Wouldn't the apples, nuts, onions, grapes or whatever you add to it, regardless of size, be considered foreign objects and cause a DQ?

Wouldn't the apples, nuts, onions, grapes or whatever you add to it, regardless of size, be considered foreign objects and cause a DQ?

Not according to the rules. Rule 13 for this year:

13)Sauce is optional. If used,it shall be applied directly to the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No side sauce containers will be permitted in the turn-in container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be no larger than a fine dice, approximately 1/8 inch cubed. Sauce violations shall receive a penalty score of one (1) on Appearance.

If the mayonnaise is your sauce, and you add chunks of apples/nuts/onions/etc. that are less than approximately 1/8" cubed to the mayonnaise, you have just made a legal, chunky sauce.

My initial thought was isn't sauce something you put "on" vs "a integral part of the dish"?
So I Giggled it and now know different.

In cooking, a sauce is a liquid, cream, or semi-solid food, served on or used in preparing other foods. Most sauces are not normally consumed by themselves; they add flavor, moisture, and visual appeal to a dish. Sauce is a French word taken from the Latin salsa, meaning salted. Wikipedia

So go ahead and turn in chicken salad, all you have to do then is survive rule #1.
Ed

If you're going to attempt it, just be aware of the statistics involved.

The most glaring one is that it is a statistical fact that 74.1% of the population believes that mayo's only place is in the yard buried next to the mesquite.

Your judging pool better be going against the average

If you try it, better do so at an Alabama contest.

Perhaps you are independently wealthy and the costs of doing a comp isn't a big deal. For me thats not the case and I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn in something that far outside of the box, possibly for anything butt, but not for regular chicken turn in. People think its risky to do legs or wings, and your looking to make a cold waldorf chicken salad...if you're looking for ways to improve your chicken scores, this isn't it.

I received pulled/chopped chicken this summer for the first time. It was lightly sauced and well cooked. It got 8's and 9's from me. I don't know how the rest of the table scored it. Not sure how chicken salad would be any different. I'd like to see something different come across the table for a change.

I received pulled/chopped chicken this summer for the first time. It was lightly sauced and well cooked. It got 8's and 9's from me. I don't know how the rest of the table scored it. Not sure how chicken salad would be any different. I'd like to see something different come across the table for a change.

How was it presented? I'm assuming something similar to how a box of pulled pork looks like, but I'm curious.

Don’t the rules say anything cooled down has to be reheated to 140?

Doing things out of the box in competition bbq usually does not end up well.

Don’t the rules say anything cooled down has to be reheated to 140?

Doing things out of the box in competition bbq usually does not end up well.

Interesting point!!
Rule 17
g.
After cooking, all meat: Must be held at 140° F or above
OR
Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows: Within 2
hours from 140° F to 70° F and within 4 hours from 70° F
to 41° F or less
h.
Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated
for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that all
parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165° F
for a minimum of 15 seconds.

I don't know if 17 h actually requires you to serve reheated meat. Although not one of the 4 meats I have judged shrimp cocktail and other non-hot entrys in ancillary entrys.

Ed

Interesting point!!
Rule 17
g.
After cooking, all meat: Must be held at 140° F or above
OR
Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows: Within 2
hours from 140° F to 70° F and within 4 hours from 70° F
to 41° F or less
h.
Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated
for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that all
parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165° F
for a minimum of 15 seconds.

I don't know if 17 h actually requires you to serve reheated meat. Although not one of the 4 meats I have judged shrimp cocktail and other non-hot entrys in ancillary entrys.

Ed

Kind of fun to think about. In theory most meats cools off during boxing especially something like chopped chicken/pork/brisket where it is getting broken down and allowed for much more air to hit it, so..........

If you chopped hot 140 degree chicken and it sat for 5-10mins and got to say room temp of around 70 degrees and then you added very cold mayo (35-39) and the other ingredients added cold it would still be relatively cold and enjoyed as a "cold dish".

Almost no need to chill in the first place.

Back