MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
LowSlowBo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Ribs - how to smoke them?

There's so many ways on the net it's hard to decide on a method. Low and slow, hot and fast, 2-2-1, 3-2-1, sauce, no sauce, wrap, don't wrap....I just want to smoke and enjoy some ribs!

Any advice for a newb is appreciated.
LowSlowBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try it the simple way of just putting them on the smoker and cooking till done using the bend test. Depending on temp will obviously determine your time. Go 250'ish and they should take around 5hrs give or take. Then try foil after that and see what flavors and cooking technique you like more. Half the fun is trying different stuff .

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

What are you doing Spares or baby backs I like baby backs at 235 for 2 hrs, then wrapped with honey and brown sugar for an hour then unwrapped for an hour
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I suggest starting simple, just an indirect cook and low temps (225*-250*) with a good simple rub (just S&P with a dash of paprika and/or garlic is pretty dang good). Cook time will vary with style of ribs (baby back, spares or St Louis cut), but plan on 5 hours plus or minus 2 hours. Just cook them until they pass the bend test, no sauce or glaze (let folks add what they want at the table). If you are worried about them drying out spritz or mop with a little apple juice. Once you get this down you can start playing with stuff like foil or BP, sauces, glazes, more complex rubs, etc.

I found Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue a useful tool, it has some helpful time and temp tables and a pretty good narrative on cooking technique.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
hokiebob
Found some matches.

I tried the 2-2-1 method and concurrently, I just left a rack uncovered the entire time (indirect), but did squirt w/some apple juice every now and then. When done, both were the same, at least to me, so I won't fool w/the foil again.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiebob View Post
I tried the 2-2-1 method and concurrently, I just left a rack uncovered the entire time (indirect), but did squirt w/some apple juice every now and then. When done, both were the same, at least to me, so I won't fool w/the foil again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I suggest starting simple, just an indirect cook and low temps (225*-250*) with a good simple rub (just S&P with a dash of paprika and/or garlic is pretty dang good). Cook time will vary with style of ribs (baby back, spares or St Louis cut), but plan on 5 hours plus or minus 2 hours. Just cook them until they pass the bend test, no sauce or glaze (let folks add what they want at the table). If you are worried about them drying out spritz or mop with a little apple juice. Once you get this down you can start playing with stuff like foil or BP, sauces, glazes, more complex rubs, etc.
^ Good Advice from both.

I agree, learn the basics before you foil if you feel the need to do so.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

I cook around 250 for 6 hours or so. I dry rub with a texas rub 24 hours prior. I also cook up my homemade sauce and refrigerate it the same night. 1 1/2-2 hours before the ribs are done I ladle my sauce all over them and put the lid back on. This is done with direct heat and no foil. Ribs naked on the rack.

The last ribs I did I tried to remove the membrane from the backside. I didn't have much luck so I said screw it lol.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
16Adams

Prep ribs-remove skin from bone side and season

Hang baby backs 3:45 minutes in Pit Barrel Cooker

Remove ribs apply layer of Stubbs Sweet & Spicey

Re-hang ribs for 30 minutes

Remove let rest for 15-30 minutes

Enjoy

If you don't have a Pit Barrel Cooker or an Ugly Drum Smoker.
Buy or make a barrel cooker. The sooner you do the sooner you will enjoy "the best you've ever made" ribs.

Sauce step is optional.
YouTube has videos on easy membrane removal
Cooking Ribs, like golf, is an individual sport. Just because a method is different it doesn't make it wrong. Find your game. You've got it, or you wouldn't be on this website.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Prep ribs-remove skin from bone side and season

Hang baby backs 3:45 minutes in Pit Barrel Cooker

Remove ribs apply layer of Stubbs Sweet & Spicey

Re-hang ribs for 30 minutes

Remove let rest for 15-30 minutes

Enjoy

If you don't have a Pit Barrel Cooker or an Ugly Drum Smoker.
Buy or make a barrel cooker. The sooner you do the sooner you will enjoy "the best you've ever made" ribs.

Sauce step is optional.
YouTube has videos on easy membrane removal

I tried to cut and remove the membrane last batch I did with pliers and a sharp knife. It wasn't as easy as it looked like it would be. I never accomplished it. The membrane didn't just peel off like catfish skin like I had hoped. It peeled off in little strings leaving 99.9% behind. I just couldn't get it done. Since I had never removed it before, I decided it wasn't worth it so I gave up. I wish I could have got it done though just to try it.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree with the slower indirect cook.

Add salt, pepper and whatever if you want.
Remove the membrane from the back/bone side, simple to do. Just take a paring knife and get it under the skin on a bone and then get your finger under it and pull it off.

Get your pit/grill upto temp 250/275 and put them on indirect. Not over the heat.
as was said give em 5 +/- hours and you're good to go.
the bend test will tell you wheb they're done.

Also keep your top vents open and control heat/smoke from the bottom/intake vent.
Good luck

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
16Adams

Dull butter knife and paper towel. You can remove membrane safely and easily from three racks of ribs in under one minute. Again-check YouTube.

Or don't remove it. They are your ribs.

Some don't. Enjoy

Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Dull butter knife and paper towel. You can remove membrane safely and easily from three racks of ribs in under one minute. Again-check YouTube.

Or don't remove it. They are your ribs.

Some don't. Enjoy

Sorry I didn't see your last sentence about you tube. I actually did watch you tube videos before I tried it last time. I will research it more.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

10 posts, 10 different ways and all very good. I've done them every way possible and still have good cooks and bad.
Take these guys advise, then as time goes on, you'll add your own twist and share it with us.
Just my thought.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Bludawg

This is the best way IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBFZstQRUY

Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Fwismoker

Just experiment...i started out as a 3-2-1 and now i'm a olive oil, rub and go nekkid for 3-4 hours until they're tooth pick tender.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote