Scored a Weber Ranch

saxart

Reaction score
I got this Weber Ranch Kettle grill off Craigslist for about 1/3 the price of a new one. Who buys a $1,300 grill and doesn't cook on it???

Well.................................we no longer have a "NEW" grill! :mrgreen:

First off, I wanted to show the mods. Since this grill is going to be used for Low-N-Slow only, I wanted a charcoal basket so that it could keep things contained and not damage the side of the kettle by piling hot coals on it's side. After cutting two strips of expanded metal and welding them together end-to end I couldn't decide what size to make the basket, so I ended up just leaving it as a "wall" and tack welded it right to the charcoal grate. The welds are very small and could easily be ground away without ever knowing they were there.

Here it is with fire-bricks to keep the heat from "cooking" the food, and foil to help direct the airflow and catch the drippings.

The other mod I did was to remove the one hinged side of the cooking grate toward the back of the grill. Since this is primarily used for smoking/slow-cooks, this mod allows us to get to the coals more easily. A large cold-chisel driven between the crimp of the grate leg separated that section, and it can either be used separately if needed, or replaced as a hinged panel again by sliding it in place and closing the leg shut with a hammer. I'll probably hang that piece on a nail in the garage and never touch it again.

Here is kind of a funny size-comparison picture showing that grate-panel removed:

Here we are loaded up with the bird. (13.78lbs) (It looks like a tiny chicken on that huge grill!) We just coated it in olive-oil and gave it a shake of Lowrys Season Salt and Tyme to keep it simple.

Temperatures were tough to regulate until I realized that closing up the large lid damper about halfway would make things less "touchy". After that she hummed right along @ 325deg. Prior to that it had gotten as high as 365deg with only two of the three bottom dampers open and would have kept going up had I not reeled it in.

And we're cooking....

Two hours later, this is what it looked like. It was almost done, but I guess wanted to wait for the Vikings to finally beat those pesky Bears before emerging... :p

On the platter, going in the house for a rest. (I'm not sure why the breast-skin split like it did in the two spots)

It was a very juicy and well favored bird, so all was good with that. In the end, I'm hoping to try more in-direct cooks with this kettle. Ultimately I'd like it to replace the WSM, but only time will tell if that can happen. For now it's just going to need a lot more cooks done on it to get that nice rich coating on the inside so that it cooks better. I guess the family is going to have to suffer through some more of these 'horrible' cooks. Poor them!!! :blah:

Here's the comical part to all of this. This past summer I sold my Weber Performer because...... It took up too much space in the garage! LOL :twitch:

Awesome! :) That Smokey Joe is soooo TINY on it lol. That grill also looks like it would be really nice for starting a camp like fire in it for the backyard :)

Wow the grill is huge. How much charcoal did it take to cook the chicken in your initial cook?

She sure looks pretty though.

Nice score.

I have always wanted one but the price is what keeps me away when I can get 4 26'' for the same price and have more space. Now if I could get the same deal you got.....
Your buzzard looks good.

Nice, I always keep my eye on CL. good looking bird.

That thing is a MONSTER! Nice score!

Great score Nice cook I would get rid of the aluminum foil and put a pan down there to catch the grease

Nice find. The bird has a nice color I bet it was delicious.

Way cool man. I'd love to have one myself, just too damned expensive new. Great score! Btw great mod with the expanded metal coal shield. I always cringe when I think about how hot the kettle must get when banking coals on the side.

Wow, really great score and like your mods, as well. Looking forward to more cook pics on this, especially interested in how your indirect cooks turn out- no reason they won't be great, and can't beat all that space!

Back