Cook Backyard & KCBS at the same contest?

NazBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm looking to enter a few contests this spring (for the first time). I was wondering if I could cook the two backyard catagories most contests offer; and also cook a single category with the pros. Is this up to each individual contest rep?

Well since it's your first time, what better way to gain experience.....some people may balk at it, but ultimately the decision is probably up to you... Now if you had cooked in a few KCBS type events and then entered backyard, that would be one thing, but since you're starting in backyard, then just wanting to see how he can do against the veterans...who cares, why would that bother anyone. Of course, what do I know, I just found some wood....

For the kcbs contest you are going to have to pay the full fee 200 to 300 ish so if you going to enter make the most of your cash and turn in all 4. We did our 1st comp last year and you will learn a ton preping and cooking all 4 meats. I say sign up do a couple practice runs and at the end you will see where you stand. I think if you only cook 1 meat you will be missing out on the full experience

I'm not sure if any contest would allow you to compete on both sides, they'd want you to choose one or the other. If you're wanting to get your feet wet just compete in backyard for a couple/few contests then move over or hit the ground running on pro side & let the chips fall where they may.

Go for it! What do you have to lose. Read the book "Startin the fire" and practice. You may just surprise yourself.

The contest I'm applying for allows you to enter individual KCBS categories at $50 a pop. It appears they are not requiring the full entry fee to participate. My plan is to cook chicken & ribs for Backyard. I was just curious why I couldn't cook pork for an extra $50 and see where it ranks with the pros. Doesn't sound so crazy to me.

Thanks! I found a contest that allows you to enter individual categories for $50 each. That's why I was asking.

in that ligth it doesn't, but still why straddle the fence? pick one and enjoy it.

It sounds like you are worried about trying the pro stuff. If so, cooking one category makes sense if the organizer allows it. I think you answered the question in your original post: it's up to the organizer. Most contests will charge you a single fee for all the categories, but if you found one that doesn't, great.

If you jumped right in you would find pro isn't so bad, especially if you have done a backyard before. We skipped backyard, and started right out with pro. We got calls in our second contest. (Took 40 more until our first GC, but hey...) Don't be afraid to pull the trigger, we all started there. Cook the pro, have fun, see how you do. Remember Pro is somewhat of a misnomer, it really means it's a KCBS sanctioned 4 meat event. Most of the teams are hobbyists and not making a living at competitions.

Can't speak about your contest...but at many KCBS contests the backyard judges may not be certified.

If you are already going to turn in a meat on the pro side...just compete in all 3 then.

You'll have a better chance of getting scores that reflect a KCBS contest.

The contest I'm applying for allows you to enter individual KCBS categories at $50 a pop. It appears they are not requiring the full entry fee to participate. My plan is to cook chicken & ribs for Backyard. I was just curious why I couldn't cook pork for an extra $50 and see where it ranks with the pros. Doesn't sound so crazy to me.

I think the question everyone's asking is why not just do the whole thing pro and skip backyard altogether? If the backyard division isn't using certified judges, you'll have no idea where you actually stand when/if you decide to do your first full pro competition.

Don't let the "Pro" name fool you. Just jump in and do all 4.

Back