MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #76
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, it's final. I am so gonna steal that firebox design Thanks for he update and look forward to the next one!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #77
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

as for the paint dampney coatings stove paint 270 black, thermolux. they are outta mass and its $37 per gal, shoot form body gun no thinning required
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #78
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I want a box a lot like that for my Brazos Pit! The only thing is... I would like and actual apparatus INSIDE that I could place a few briskets or a Clod (especially a clod) in a strong steel cage, swing them in or out, lock the door tight and control the damper to where it was nearly airtight.

Can you imagine that... a clod started that way? Damn close to Lockhart. Remember when I say CLOD I am speaking of the 25-35 pounders. And I don't, screw clod up by cooking them like brisket and pulling the meat either.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #79
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

That is coming along very nicely, I can't wait to see more. It's making me itch to build one for myself. JB

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #80
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMojo View Post
Well, it's final. I am so gonna steal that firebox design Thanks for he update and look forward to the next one!
Thank you, thank you. Hopefully, I've got enough pics of the box for you. I try to include as many as possible. I can't wait to fire it up and see how long I can get a small load to burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dirts bbq View Post
as for the paint dampney coatings stove paint 270 black, thermolux. they are outta mass and its $37 per gal, shoot form body gun no thinning required
What?! Do you know what the heat resistance is rated to? That's ridiculously cheap! Does it come in glossy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I want a box a lot like that for my Brazos Pit! The only thing is... I would like and actual apparatus INSIDE that I could place a few briskets or a Clod (especially a clod) in a strong steel cage, swing them in or out, lock the door tight and control the damper to where it was nearly airtight.

Can you imagine that... a clod started that way? Damn close to Lockhart. Remember when I say CLOD I am speaking of the 25-35 pounders. And I don't, screw clod up by cooking them like brisket and pulling the meat either.
You don't see a lot of clod cooks! That's a heavy duty hunk of meat right there! We considered adding an area to the topside of the box for this purpose but decided we'd go without this time. We'll probably be able to crank that chamber up to 5-600 without trouble but we won't likely do that often. The box will be ultra air tight. You're right, though; that would be a nice utility add-on to the box! Thanks.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #81
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I really want to do it to see if I would have a flash fire when I opened the box and all that melted fat on embers got a rush of oxygen. LOL

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #82
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

My money says you probably would! If you decide to do it, make sure you post the pics!!!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #83
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

no the paint is only avail in matte black ive used it to repaint home depot special char broil offset and 2 other pits, works great. make sure you scuff surface and get loose stuff and or rust off and give it 3-4 coats 1 hour apart on a 60 degree or better day.
i have a heated garage in my sign shop so i paint all year
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:

Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #84
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

We were planning on going glossy all the way around...with that kind of price...we may have to change our minds...

We're hoping we can get everything assembled and burned out by this weekend or next.. We are wanting to give it a go before we get it lookin all pretty.

Before too long, we'll have the framing done for the storage also..

Old 03-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #85
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Okay..So the women made us cut out day short (not much long after it started). One of us got drug around the mall and the other had to clean out his garage and rearrange EVERYTHING... We didn't get as far as we wanted but had to make sure you got fed a little for the weekend..We may have some mid-week progress to report until our next full weekend..We'll see.

This first shot is a close-up of the firebox door. You can probably guess which style we plan to go with for the inlets. The door looks a little rough around the edges, but we'll get it prettied up by the time it is finished.

This is just a shot of the stainless steel table top we are using for the business end of the chamber.

The next two pics are views of the inside where the box outlet meets the chamber. On the first pic, you can see that we are planning on placing the flanges on the inside of the chamber for a smooth, clean look (they aren't fastened yet). In the second pic, you can see that the chamber hole was cut larger than it needed to be; this was done to give us space to lay some welds down around the perimeter.

View from the left side.

Top shot.

The next two are just angle shots.

Dad next to the trailer for another size comparison.

There you have it guys. We'll try to get some more knocked out as soon as possible!

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #86
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

I think the hole into the chamber is a bit high in my opinion, anybody agree? Shouldn't be below cook surface?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #87
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Normally, yes. I'll let one of the other brethren tell you why it's placed where it's at

Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #88
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Still loving it!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #89
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Come on what is it? Is it something obvious I'm missing?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #90
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Love this thread!