• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

foil or no foil?

mobow

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am practicing different cooking methods for my first comps this coming year. When you cook comps do you foil during the cooking process or not? Not including foiling when done and put into a cambro or cooler. keith

We foil everything but chicken also. Usually cook until the color is right and the bark is set and then foil it to finish.

I am practicing different cooking methods for my first comps this coming year. When you cook comps do you foil during the cooking process or not? Not including foiling when done and put into a cambro or cooler. keith

Most comp cooks foil at least some of their meats during the cooking process...

You have plenty of time to research and experiment over the winter...

Foiling is really common, and quite handy for competition cooking. The reason is because the foiling speeds up the stall, helping to get the meat through the stall in a much more timely manner than without foil. By shrinking this window, you get a lower variance of time it takes to finish, making your cook times a little more predictable than without the foil.

Foiling is really common, and quite handy for competition cooking. The reason is because the foiling speeds up the stall, helping to get the meat through the stall in a much more timely manner than without foil. By shrinking this window, you get a lower variance of time it takes to finish, making your cook times a little more predictable than without the foil.
^^^ What he said ^^^

Foil everything except bird for the reasons above, plus we're able to keep the crust more
towards the reddish/browner side (makes better presentation, IMHO) than blacker of
a 10 hour cook on smoke.

^^^^

Darn good explaination.

I use foil or foil pans for all 4 meats.

BUT most important is for you to work out a process that works for you and practice it and then stick with it for a year. See how you do, talk to other cooks during the night and get advice.

I'm with Bourbon Barrel -- I use a lot of foil (double wrap) at critical points for butts, brisket and ribs. My contest recipes are rather complex and critically timed as to foiling and other treatments and I still make (minor) modifications now and then to get improvements.

When I'm cooking for friends and family I don't foil as much because the end result isn't so critical -- gives me more time to socialize, too :blabla:

I used to foil everything but ribs, but now I even foil those.
Like said above foiling allows for more predictable cook times.
Also my biggest reason for foiling butts/brisket when I used to cook on my UDS is that I didn't like the color of the bark.

Back