MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

Default RF Offsets - Warmers

I know the many uses one has with a warmer after searching several threads.

The question I have is it better to have one added on than not having one? How many bbq'ers regret not adding a warmer when breaking in their RF offset? Also has any bbq'ers regret adding one on since it's not being used much or for any other reason?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
baskinrobbin
Found some matches.

bout to order an offset with warmer from Shirley Fab, figure it's better to have one than not.
baskinrobbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would add one just to cook in when I didn't want to load up the whole barrell....
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
gtr

My Klose isn't RF, but I do have a warmer and I love it - unlike an RF, the warmer is at the opposite end of the firebox. It's great for holding things at parties and for lower temp smoking for sausage, bacon, etc.

Being able to hold and/or cook at lower temps in the warmer, smoke in the main chamber, and grill in the firebox all at the same time can be a really great thing.

Those Shirley Fab warmers with adjustable vents from the firebox and cooking chamber look amazing to me.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
My Klose isn't RF, but I do have a warmer and I love it - unlike an RF, the warmer is at the opposite end of the firebox. It's great for holding things at parties and for lower temp smoking for sausage, bacon, etc.

Being able to hold and/or cook at lower temps in the warmer, smoke in the main chamber, and grill in the firebox all at the same time can be a really great thing.

Those Shirley Fab warmers with adjustable vents from the firebox and cooking chamber look amazing to me.
^^^ Pretty much all of this, plus I have no problem putting some charcoal at the bottom of my warmer and doing a small charcoal cook in there!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskinrobbin View Post
figure it's better to have one than not.
Yea that's what I was thinking.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Well the usefulness of the warmer is determined by the design of it. There are some warmers that have been added on to pits that are nothing more than a steel box with a lid, sitting on top of a sealed off firebox and the uses for that are much fewer than for one that gives access to the fire, has a grill top and good ventilation! Here's a Youtube video of mine, one of the most functional warmer / ovens I've ever seen.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
iamasmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

I do not have a warmer. I would like it if I did, but I am not planning on going to the trouble of adding one. I use the top of the firebox for pre-heating my wood before adding to the fire. I just stack as much wood on top as I can. Be carful, if you leave it there too long you will have a second fire on top of the fire box. The pre-heated wood catches fire much faster. Spends less time smou

Old 06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
iamasmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Spends less time smouldering. This gets me to the "clean" smoke that I want faster.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

I love the warmer on my Shirley. I warm the splits in it so they ignite instantly when tossed on the fire. Plus, it can be used as a regular charcoal grill, since Shirley Fab makes them that way. I guess it can be used as a small vertical smoker as well (if I didn't want to fire up the big chamber), but I haven't done that yet.

"Lest we Forget"
64Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
BBQ_MAFIA

I really think that it depends on your needs.

I have one on my Lang 84 and like it. I use it to keep things warm and don't cook in it.

You could porbably get away cheaper buy passing on the warmer and buying a Cambro. Here again it depends on your needs as the Cambro will take up space in the car if you plan to tow the smoker anywhere.

My Lang 60 doesn't have a warmer so I use the cambro with it and get great results.

Think this out carefully before spending your hard earned cash.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

I look at it as extra cooking space in basically the same footprint. I have a Shirley pit that has a charcoal basket for the warmer for dedicated direct cooks and a baffle from the firebox to the warmer that I just used to cook a bunch of chicken. Still learning how to manage temperature zones between the warmer and main chamber but I like having the versatility.

Plus as mentioned you can put a bunch of splits up there if you're cooking in the main chamber so you always have already source of wood ready to ignite.

May 2014 Shirley Fabrication 24x65" Cabinet model trailer pit with warmer

Kamado Joe "Big Joe"

Very ugly UDS
Weber Performer
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
gtr

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a pop baffle between my main chamber and the warmer. There's about a 25 degree difference or more with it in or out.

It's good to have a way to adjust the heat a little bit with a warmer, as there will be needs for different temps in different situations, i.e. you may be cooking in the main chamber and holding in the warmer, which would require a lower temp than if you were hot smoking in the warmer, like finishing off bacon or sausage - or - you start smoking sausage/bacon with the baffle in, and then remove it to finish it, all the while not having to change the temp in your horizontal cooking chamber.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
2001Heel
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I have two adjustable vents in my Shirley and they work great. This really adds a ton of flexibility to the entire pit. I can keep the warmer at about 175-200 just too keep things warm or I can cook at basically any temp. Under no circumstances would I ever recommend not getting this feature on a Shirley based on the design.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
jbounds286
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

^^ just ordered my SF cabinet model with the dampers from firebox to warmer and main cook chamber to warmer....this is why
Camp Chef Flat Top Griddle, Ooni Pro 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven
jbounds286 is offline   Reply With Quote