MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Do you mind if i ask where you are getting your briskets and what the grade is? You might be a victim of poor brisket quality. Cooking hotter might help like you are saying. I keep it at around 300 when I cook brisket. Also what are you cooking on?

I don't mean to hijack this and make it about brisket, but it sounds like you would really like to nail it and that you're probably pretty close.
Hi I started getting my Briskets at Walmart, they were choice.Then I joined Restaurant Depot and have been getting CAB Briskets from them.
I started smoking with a Master Forge Vertical Smoker, now I have COS Brinkmanns Smoke N Pit..Cooking times have been from 225-275.
Thanks DanB

Old 02-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #17
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi I started getting my Briskets at Walmart, they were choice.Then I joined Restaurant Depot and have been getting CAB Briskets from them.
I started smoking with a Master Forge Vertical Smoker, now I have COS Brinkmanns Smoke N Pit..Cooking times have been from 225-275.
Thanks DanB
Ahh ok those COS while perfectly capable of producing good Q have a lot of air moving through them. it could be that you are losing moisture that way. Do you wrap during the cook?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Ahh ok those COS while perfectly capable of producing good Q have a lot of air moving through them. it could be that you are losing moisture that way. Do you wrap during the cook?
Hi Some times the brisket is wrapped. Two things I haven't tried yet is.
1. inject
2. Hot n Fast.
I really don't want to inject. I"d just like to taste the beef flavor.
Thanks Dan
PS Snow is forecasted for all day on Thursday. So I'm thinking, if I'm going to be home all day, why not do and oven Brisket.
Thanks Dan

Old 02-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #19
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
PS Snow is forecasted for all day on Thursday. So I'm thinking, if I'm going to be home all day, why not do and oven Brisket.
Thanks Dan
Speaking of the oven, have you tried or heard of Pitmaster T's Night Train brisket experiment? It involves cooking a brisket in the oven. Its designed to teach someone who is unfamiliar with cooking brisket what end result they are looking for in terms of texture and moisture. I used to struggle pretty bad with brisket inconsistency. The Night Train was the single most important thing I ever did to learn what I was shooting for.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=DanB;2800060]

If you're planning to cook one in the oven anyway.....

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #20
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Link

Hi Q-Dat The link did not work?

I was at Restaurant Depot today Angus Chuck Rolls and Clods were 22 lbs and over. Way to big for me right now, plus with more snow coming 6"-12", it will be awhile before I can get to my smoker.

I did pick up a a 11 lbs Brisket. I will use some of the brisket for ground meat. The rest will go into the oven, either Weds night or Thursday morning.
Thanks Dan
PS I do see Beef prices going up a lot.

Last edited by DanB; 02-11-2014 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: spelling error
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #21
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

OK looks like I screwed up while copying and pasting the link. This one should work.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=night+train

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #22
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Brisket

Hi All Here is a link to lastest brisket try.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=181610
DanB