MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Great lookin build!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good so far! If I could give you a little beginner's advice: Take the extra time and grind off the mill scale on the surfaces to be welded. You will get much better penetration and a prettier bead.

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
Looking good so far! If I could give you a little beginner's advice: Take the extra time and grind off the mill scale on the surfaces to be welded. You will get much better penetration and a prettier bead.
All advice is welcome! I've been trying to clean up the pieces before I weld them but I'll admit to being spotty at it at best. And for the large 1/4" I definitely just dropped it in and started welding without giving it another thought. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Cleaning is always good, I would only use abrasives and stay away from chemicals. Brake cleaner is a popular thing to use among gearheads to clean grease and grime from metal but if heated produces deadly gasses.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #20
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Trent, how is it coming?

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Just got back from spending two weeks in Chicago so no updates lately. Plan to get over and work on it once or twice this week. I'm close to the point where I'm going to either bend the sheet for the interior or find someone close to do it. I'm hoping Storms in Victoria or Cologne will be able to do it. I'm hoping to bring the whole unit in and have them bend the interior and exterior sheeting all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

It's looking great so far! Nice work!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Finally got a chance to spend some quality time with my build today and had a really good day. Made a lot of progress and was real happy with the fit of the panels I cut out. It's almost like I knew what I was doing.

Got the floor of the firebox welded in along with all 3 panels of the meat chamber. I still need to weld the bottom of the panels to the floor but I ran out of time. Everything was cut with Zip Wheels and while they do a great job it takes a bit of time making straight 4ft long cuts.

Welds are getting better too I think. I really love the MIG welder, makes it so easy.

Starting to look like a smoker almost.

Been thinking about the firebox and have a couple ideas.

One idea is to have the firebox attached to the door and have the whole thing on sliders so it pulls out all as one piece. Would make it nice and easy for filling and cleaning and the handle would be on the outside so even when the fire has been going for hours it would be easy to slide out far enough to add more lump or whatever.

The other idea is to have a normal hinged door and a firebox separate that still is on sliders and pulls out. May be easier to build and seems like the more standard approach but I'm not sure if there are some benefits to it that I'm not thinking of or what. One advantage would be for keeping the door open while starting the fire to let it breathe, but even with the first option I think I would be fine if I just left it slid out an inch or two, that would be quite a bit of air. I'm also going to have a 25CFM Stoker fan hooked up to it so air shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts? And thanks for looking.

Trent

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Glad I got stop by and take a look at it in person today!

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Coming together quite nicely!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #26
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Lookin good

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #27
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good!

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

That looks like it is gonna be a really nice cooker:)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #29
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys.

Was good to see you yesterday Ryan.

Dan, your build is still an inspiration for this one. I assume you got your cooker sold?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNuge View Post

Been thinking about the firebox and have a couple ideas.

One idea is to have the firebox attached to the door and have the whole thing on sliders so it pulls out all as one piece. Would make it nice and easy for filling and cleaning and the handle would be on the outside so even when the fire has been going for hours it would be easy to slide out far enough to add more lump or whatever.

The other idea is to have a normal hinged door and a firebox separate that still is on sliders and pulls out. May be easier to build and seems like the more standard approach but I'm not sure if there are some benefits to it that I'm not thinking of or what. One advantage would be for keeping the door open while starting the fire to let it breathe, but even with the first option I think I would be fine if I just left it slid out an inch or two, that would be quite a bit of air. I'm also going to have a 25CFM Stoker fan hooked up to it so air shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts? And thanks for looking.

Trent
I would think you'd want to keep the door and the firebox separate, just so you don't have to slide out the firebox every time you want to peek at the fire. I would definitely put it on rails so you can slide it out easily, and add a handle. That's one thing my backwoods doesn't have, so it's a bit of a pain to slide in and out to add charcoal or chunks of wood.

Also, you may want to check on the size of the fan for the stoker. I have a fatboy and use the 5cfm with no issue. 25cfm may be overkill.
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backwoods, build, clone, stumps, Superior