MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #91
NBBD
is one Smokin' Farker

Didn't noticed this throw down until today ... I ordered a satay grill last week from import foods like the street vendors in thailand use... But it wont be here til mid week...!
NBBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #92
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I see my zombie idea has been taken. If I manage to make this today, it will truly be last minute. Plus, now I have to come up with a whole new idea.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #93
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I see my zombie idea has been taken. If I manage to make this today, it will truly be last minute. Plus, now I have to come up with a whole new idea.
Shut up, stop whining and start cooking already
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #94
Elrik
On the road to being a farker

Default XinJiang BBQ Skewers

Here is my entry for the street food throwdown. XinJiang BBQ Skewers.
Had a bit of a disaster with the photos that you can read about here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...81#post1930881
Entry photo:
Elrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #95
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Great cook Elrik! They sure look and sound tasty. Sorry to hear about the pics, but welcome to the wacky world of the Throwdowns. You'll have a blast.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #96
caseydog

Wow, Bigmista has had a team entry in two throwdowns in a row.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #97
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #98
caseydog

Nice steet food, Elrik.

The photos you did get certainly show what you did, and the description is complete, so I wouldn't worry too much about the plated shots.

Good entry!

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #99
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Venison Stew Pies

I loves me some fried meat pies. My cuz keeps us stocked up in venison and this time he gave us a few pounds of stew meat. Good timing since we were so ready for a good stew.
Started out with 2.5 lbs cubed venison. Browned it up, added onions, garlic, beef stock, smoked salt, black pepper, oregano, and a bay leaf.

Cooked up in the DO

Added red skin potatoes and carrots around two hours in.

Added corn and shook together heavy cream and flour to thicken it up.

A taste test

Took a pie iron and lined with pie dough and filled it up with stew.

Cooked over charcoal

The pie, not fried, but no complaints! Please use this shot, and thanks for looking!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #100
landarc

Huli-Huli_Katonk Chicken...thread here

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #101
landarc

Nice fried pie Bluetang, I know those as Hobo Pies and love them, a traditional cooked over fire item if ever there was one.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #102
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Thanks Bob, that chicken of yours is so calling to me too Beauty!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #103
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Carnitas!

I wanted to make a pulled pork taco with sweet slaw and Blues Hog. That I was sure I would like. But I also wanted to mix it up a little. Here is the mixed up part.

First I started with some Mango Juice, Orange Juice, Onions, Three kinds of peppers and some ginger. I let this all reduce down with some Sweet Baby Rays and made a nice and spicy Mango Pepper Sauce.

sf1.JPG
sf2.JPG
sf3.JPG
sf6.JPG

I also wanted a little mango slaw to go with my Mango Carnita. The slaw had fresh mango, ginger, red and green bell pepper, honey, red onion and a little splash of orange juice (it was really good).

sf9.JPG

I know that as much as I like things spicy my family does not. I found two pork shoulders about the same size and rubbed one with Secret Weapon and the other I covered with HDD and a layer of Secret Weapon.

sf4.JPG
sf5.JPG
sf7.JPG

Finally we made up some fresh tortillas and sweet slaw and called it a meal.

sf10.JPG

Thanks for looking
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #104
bigabyte

Default Kebabs

I needed to come up with something for this throwdown. I had put off entering too long, with today being the last day to enter.

Then a certain person who shall remain unnamed (silverfinger) went and entered zombie cooked like a brisket earlier today, which is what I wanted to do. So now, at the last minute, I had to come up with something new.

I hadn't had a chance to run to the store this weekend, so I found myself in a jam. All of the ideas I kept coming up with I did not have all of the ingredients for. Finally I just looked at what was on hand, and tried to come up with something using what was on hand, that would be some sort of Street Food.

What I started putting together was some sort of Mediterranean inspired Kebab thing, but I don't think it can be narrowed to any specific Mediterranean style cuisine. I suppose you could label it from a few different countries, Greek comes to mind, and get away with it. It's basically a type of Kefta, but skirts a few different Mediterranean types in my opinion. It's what I thought I could put together that I thought would be tasty however!

I started with some Ground Beef, minced Onion, chopped Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Cinnamon and Cumin.

I mixed that up by hand, being rather thorough to let the meat kind of break down like you expect from spiced ground meat things in Mediterranean food. This helped to keep my food processor clean and save some time! I let the meat mingle with the spices for about an hour.

Then I formed 14 patties about the diameter of a pool ball and almost an inch thick. I put these on skewers alternated with sliced Red Potato that had marinated in an Garlic Olive Oil/Lemon Juice mixture. I put the skewers on my grill, offset with lump charcoal.

Ten minutes later I gave them a flip.

Another ten minutes later I flipped them again, and moved the skewer in back up to the front.

Ten minutes later, they read 155 internal, which was my target, figuring they would carry over to 160 internal. Since this is "Street Food", I figured cooking to rare or medium rare could be a bad idea. Plus, I needed to cook those potatoes.

I didn't have a jar of sauce that seemed suitable, so I had to make a glaze out of Honey with enough Lemon Juice to make it nice and lemony, a little Soy Sauce to give it a little sumtin-sumtin, and a dash of Sriracha sauce for a bit of a kick. I drizzled that over the meat and potatoes until they were covered. At this point they are ready to be carried off by a customer and eaten.

They were really good. Some times when you are completely winging a recipe it works out, ad this was definitely one of those times. I only made it through one and a half sticks though. They are packed with meat and potatoes.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #105
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Here is some street food from my neck of the woods. I was going to make a prego but thought it might get too confusing. No not spaghetti sauce it is pronounced prego not prego, see what I mean. So I decided to make a Bifana instead. A Bifana can be found at any Portuguese street festa and is basically a steak sandwich.

Here are the ingredients I also used SM season all not shown in the pic.

I make a paste by grinding 6 cloves of coarsely chopped garlic and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt in the mortar and pestil.

Then add ground pepper paste, paprika, black pepper and SM season all (that stuff is like bacon it makes everything better).

You may want to look away, this is the part where I beat my steaks.

If I were making a prego I would have put thin slices of garlic on the steaks then beat them.

The paste is applied to the steaks then covered with super expensive Chablis, marinate overnite.

Then I first saute some onions in OO before they are don I add some paprika and SM season all deglaze the pan with some of the super expensive Chablis (reserved from marinate) and reduce for about 3 min.

The steaks cook quick about 4 min tops.

Served on a papo-seco and fries beer is mandatory.

Use the first pic for voting, thanks for looking.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Farkin' Idiots, Gator Country, Got a Black Magic Gator, Jumped the Alligator Parts, N8 still has nice balls, Not A Meatball Throwdown, Special Farkin Rules, Street Alligators are Tough, Street Draggin Gator Balls