MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
Blowin' Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Default Assassin 48 Questions

For those of you who own the Assassin 48, how do you find it performs grilling and smoking? Any suggestions for things to add or change from the base?
I have seen some videos from BBQ Freak on YouTube, and it seems like it would be a good grill and smoker. I’m considering getting one to replace both my Weber kettle and my OC Smokehouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Only thing I would do different is I would put a stack on each side .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
Daddio BBQ
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowin' Smoke View Post
For those of you who own the Assassin 48, how do you find it performs grilling and smoking? Any suggestions for things to add or change from the base?
I have seen some videos from BBQ Freak on YouTube, and it seems like it would be a good grill and smoker. I’m considering getting one to replace both my Weber kettle and my OC Smokehouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It holds temp really well I prefer hot and fast at 275-300 and it hold steady once you get it there. I got the dual stacks and also went access doors on both ends and split pans. I would say the essential upgrade is the SS rod split grates for the bottom. Peter B started this and has many pictures on here to review. They are built solid, allow you to move the charcoal grate to the top rail for better searing and the ability to just use one grate and slide all of the food from direct to indirect instantly is a great feature. I went SS expanded for the top rack for before so you don't have to upgrade both but I would highly recommend doing the bottom rack.
Daddio BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Peter B
On the road to being a farker

I recommend two stacks placed on the left and right sides. Also, Ask Jeff about stainless steel rod grates split in half. This gives you a lot of flexibility in my opinion.

You can check out what I am talking about here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WfFanAwimhMcsYoP9

I would also go with a solid stainless steel front shelf.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
donnylove
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio BBQ View Post
It holds temp really well I prefer hot and fast at 275-300 and it hold steady once you get it there. I got the dual stacks and also went access doors on both ends and split pans. I would say the essential upgrade is the SS rod split grates for the bottom. Peter B started this and has many pictures on here to review. They are built solid, allow you to move the charcoal grate to the top rail for better searing and the ability to just use one grate and slide all of the food from direct to indirect instantly is a great feature. I went SS expanded for the top rack for before so you don't have to upgrade both but I would highly recommend doing the bottom rack.
If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you (extra) to do the split stainless on the bottom and stainless expanded on top?
donnylove is offline   Reply With Quote