MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Default Rate these Boxes (Old School)

This post is for entertainment, of course. Behind the pictures is a point, which is pointless to point out. Get my point?

Rate these "Old School" Turn In Boxes.

TRUE Burnt Ends, Sausage, Loin, Prime Rib, Brisket and Ribs with a side "Glaze" and Ribs. Maybe Mista and third eye will get my point.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:35 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Old school Pie Turn in's

versus

New school pie turn ins

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
LoneStarBarbeque Co.
On the road to being a farker

Looks like good eats! Is that your own rub on the ribs and pork? I like the looks with the pepper spots. Let's eat!
LoneStarBarbeque Co. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Aw man, that ALL looks good. And what a selection...... I was going to give you a 9 overall because I didn't see any pickles....then I noticed some hiding in the burnt end picture, that makes it a 10 in my book.

BTW, those links are cooked perfectly.

Oh yeah, the point is.......It always tastes better when served on butcher paper and eaten with the tools on the end of your arms.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Arlin_MacRae

Man, there's nothing better than glistening meat to wake up to. Err... Great pix!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

Thats awesome! Great looking "OLD SCHOOL" pron!
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks really good, I think I'm eat some BBQ today, come on lunch!
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarBarbeque Co. View Post
Looks like good eats! Is that your own rub on the ribs and pork? I like the looks with the pepper spots. Let's eat!
None of these are mine. They ARE samples from the Texas Meccas.

Rub is Salt, Pepper and maybe Cayenne.

That's it. No injections, no marinades, no low and slow (they do hot and fast and rest), no foil, no boil of course (they don't even boil their Pintos), no glazes, no sauces unless on the side, no flips, no wrap (except they do wrap the meatier chunks in butcher paper and place back in a 150 - 180 holding smoker), no stokers, no pellets, no charcoal, no lump, no slathers, no mustard coatings, no gurus, no rotisseries, no convection fans, no gas, no MTQ (although that IS a traditional chemical), no panning, no Mops, no sprays, no temp probes. NO FREAKIN PARSELY, LETTUCE, no trimming (oddly even at the onset), no kidding.

I think I my ressurect my campaign for there to be a BRICK PITS ONLY section of BBQ competitions.

I think Big Bob Gibson's chicken, until he dipps it in the white sauce, is the closest thing I have seen at competition to trad BBQ. He uses salt and pepper only with an olive oil dip when he flips.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 10-23-2008 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
None of these are mine. They ARE samples from the Texas Meccas.
I had a feeling. But I get it. Best places I've eaten are served that way.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Aw man, that ALL looks good. And what a selection...... I was going to give you a 9 overall because I didn't see any pickles....then I noticed some hiding in the burnt end picture, that makes it a 10 in my book.

BTW, those links are cooked perfectly.

Oh yeah, the point is.......It always tastes better when served on butcher paper and eaten with the tools on the end of your arms.
I am gonna tell you, nothing holds a candle for pure authenticity than your brisket pic I stole and sampled in my Video lead in. I rarely ever see, at restaurants or competition, any brisket that looks like that, other than my trailer of course (until you slice it and see that Thirdeye has a more perfect smoke ring cuz I don't dip the temp at first like you do).

Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Man, there's nothing better than glistening meat to wake up to. Err... Great pix!
That comment made me laugh til I saw stars!

That's they way you used to turn in your sample! On paper wrapped up. Then it all started when someone's wife made the wad of butcher paper that they turned in, into a swan.

Hey, arlin, I will testify, as a brother that used to serve as a waiter out on 35 on restaurant row during Texas OU weekend back in the 80's, Nothing makes a Texas boy lower his ridicule of the State of Oklahoma, than being stuck here in Connecticut, and just prayin he could make it as far as the dinner tables of his Oklahoma brothers. Y'all know brisket. Mostly cuz of that trail we Texans drove the beef up to market in, Kansas City, Where they kill the beef, cut it up and serve it with a sweet table sauce all over it..

Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
/dev/bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Get my point?
Only time I've stayed over in Texas (besides the airport), was Austin. Immediately drove to Smitty's in Lockhart. Sat out in the "hallway" to eat, with my bread for a napkin. Got to say hi to John. Somethin' about a fella named Fullilove that tells you he cares about what he does.

Yeah, I get it. It just don't happen a whole lot anymore.
CBJ #21235
/dev/bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/bbq View Post
Only time I've stayed over in Texas (besides the airport), was Austin. Immediately drove to Smitty's in Lockhart. Sat out in the "hallway" to eat, with my bread for a napkin. Got to say hi to John. Somethin' about a fella named Fullilove that tells you he cares about what he does.

Yeah, I get it. It just don't happen a whole lot anymore.
The smittys that used to be Kreuz before smitty moved out and opened smittys and left kreuz by itself to later become smittys while the newer old smittys became kreuz?

those in the know will know what I am saying.

the place he speaks of, when the fams got in a fight and separated, the new place, smittys, split from kruez and built a new building while kruez stayed in the old market location. However, smittys had to get a judge to rule in his favor as he wanted to start his fire over at the new location with the coals of the fire at the old location, they had a big ceremony where they shoveled a portion of coals out of kreuz market (now smittys) and rolled it via wheelbarrow to smitty's, now kreuz.

thereby, still able to make the same claim that they were one of the oldest pits in Texas (because as anyone who ever ran a real pit, even with sundays off, the coals never die), thus, the longest running pit claim yet in a new building. Later they switched names and I would love to see how that happened.

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #14
/dev/bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

It's a funny thing isn't? If the fire that the coals came from still burns in the pit from which it came, then the oldest pit is...? I ain't not going to get in the middle of that!!!

A Florida cracker, gone to school in NC, grown up and had a family and career, learnt to cook pigs the right way, finds himself in Texas and gets his mind blown with a big 'ol hunk of beef, remembers his childhood smelling bbq over smoldering oak, and wishes he could see and taste all the places that know how to put that kind of love into what they do...

'night ya'll! :-)
CBJ #21235
/dev/bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #15
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/bbq View Post
It's a funny thing isn't? If the fire that the coals came from still burns in the pit from which it came, then the oldest pit is...? I ain't not going to get in the middle of that!!!

A Florida cracker, gone to school in NC, grown up and had a family and career, learnt to cook pigs the right way, finds himself in Texas and gets his mind blown with a big 'ol hunk of beef, remembers his childhood smelling bbq over smoldering oak, and wishes he could see and taste all the places that know how to put that kind of love into what they do...

'night ya'll! :-)
funny you should say that... the right way would be shovlin coals and that is a bitch.

I am a cracker from texas gone to school in tennesee, grown up and had a family, learnt to cook beef the right way, found myself in Tennessee, rejected, wouldn't even put it in my mouth their pork version of BBQ but went to Maurices and had my first piggy. Then got schooled on how to do Pig, butts and ribs southern style. which is not texas style cuz texas is a country.

I am surpised you smelled oak though. I hope nobody learns about oak... its a little secret I got... y'all keep using hickry and cherry and apple and pecan