MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default To Give you an idea of the seriousness of Royal Parties

In case you hadn't seen this before... it is from the AR BBQ Contest Web site. Tell me these people aren't serious! Just remember, I'm not EVEN making any effort to make the judges look twice... and if they do, I'll tell them they might as well leave because I've got a BBQ contest to win, not drink my ass off! In fact, maybe I'll have a banner made that says "Go Away! I'm here to win a BBQ Contest, Not Party!" and hang it at MY camp!

Party of the Year

On the Friday night of the barbecue, we have become the biggest festival in Kansas City. Tens of Thousands come to the historic west bottoms to join in the barbecue fun. The barbecue teams who participate in the Open Contest, organize events on Friday night, which can range from 20 to 1200 attendees per cooking team. Some are simple gatherings of friends and family, while some are annual corporate events. Many of the events raise money for local charities!

NO NEED TO SIGN UP, EVERYONE IS AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED

Winners are based on the total number of points earned by each team via the following criteria;

1. Atmosphere and Theme: Is there a central theme or just two hay bales and a keg? This is a subjective category. Judges must be impressed - 50 pts.

2. The Party: There must be a party going on. Again, the judges must be impressed - 50 pts.

Parties will be judged Friday Night - Award Given at 10PM
WIN THE DISTINCTION OF HANGING “THE PARTY OF THE YEAR” BANNER!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Quigley
Got Wood.

Default RE: To Give you an idea of the seriousness of Royal Parties

I went to the Royal once in 96,both the invitation and open. Let me tell you, I haven't seen that much drinking and that many knee walkers since college. Since I didn't know anyone there my site was relatively quite. In other words we got drunk by ourselves.
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
icemn62
Babbling Farker

That sounds like some kinda of party. How can you get your game face on, and concentrate on Cooking, when you are trying to win a "party" award.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

I'm thinking this would be for the teams that had a lot of members so they could have a party crew and a cooking crew. One will show up as the other is winding down.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I want to sign up for the Judging Class for that

Wonder if they pay expenses for Judges?

Quote:
The barbecue teams who participate in the Open Contest, organize events on Friday night, which can range from 20 to 1200 attendees per cooking team.
Great contest for those in the Open.
Sounds like a lot of fun.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

It's a wild scene. Some have sober guys to cook, and some just don't care. You see scores like 62 in ribs and 80 in pork. (Normally 130 is a really bad score in a catagory)
I can't imagine what some of those guys turn in.

It's a cookoff like no other. See you there!
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
It's a wild scene. Some have sober guys to cook, and some just don't care. You see scores like 62 in ribs and 80 in pork. (Normally 130 is a really bad score in a catagory)
I can't imagine what some of those guys turn in.

It's a cookoff like no other. See you there!
I bet that Dr Ray does a "bit better than 80" or so in the Invitational
Good luck sir and "knock'em dead"
We know you will.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

Yeah, the thing is, many of the teams in the Royal are ones that only compete in THIS event from what I understand. I know four or five teams other than folks here at the Brethren site that compete in the AR and none of them do any other contests all year long. It's all about the opportunity to party for at least a third of those in the Open. The only reason they turn in entries at all is to not be banned from the Royal the next year.

Personally, I wish they (the Royal staff) would not condone such activities by sponsoring a "Party of the Year" contest. It's wild enough without having to add to it be encouraging it with a party award.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, me too. Those roving bands of drunken women really piss me off. Can't they tell I'm trying to cook? I hated it last year when that cute one was dancing right across from my spot. I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't win. It's a great time.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Bands of drunken women? Damn! Why did I ask my WIFE to go help me out??? FARK! Maybe she'll pass out or run to the store!
KCBS Member #14287