MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #91
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
The lunacy began moments after I announced this TD...get with it, man!
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #92
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #93
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Geez, what does it take for y'all to quit yammering and actually post a cook?

Well get ready to eat some humble pie... pizza pie that is, 'coz I'm about to throw some down! let's get this BBQ Pizza Throwdown rolling!

*** cue my theme music*** This is my official entry for the BBQ Pizza Throwdown. Did I say that right?

Finally found some tipo 00 flour locally, without having to pay an arma and a leg for it. So, Fri night I mixed up a batch of pizza dough (recipe from the Forno Bravo website) and let it ferment/rise in the refrigerator overnight.

Also marinated some turkey breast tenderloins in tandoori spices.

Next morning (Sat), the weather was beautiful! Perfect day for a throwdown cook. Fired up the eggs and some tunes, made a cup of coffee, and got to work.

Started by grilling the tandoori turkey on the large egg.

Put the pizza stone in the large and let it come up to temp. Meanwhile, grilled some veggies for some of the pies on the small egg.

The dough looked great after the overnight fermentation. Punched it down, let it rise again and rolled out 4 crusts. I used half the recipe from the Forno Bravo site and made four 10-11" pies.

Dressed the ladies up, and got ready to cook the pies.

Had to pause for hydration. The weather was spectacular. Like the new mod to my small egg?

Pizzas were on for 5mins, spun around 180°, parchment paper removed, then another 5mins. I noticed that the tipo 00 doesn't brown like AP flour does. The crusts did get cracker-crispy though.

First up - Pizza Margherita - Tomatao sauce, mozz pearls, tomato, basil, garlic, dressed with EVOO.

Second - grilled veggie medley - grilled veggies (poblano, yellow peppers, red peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, onions) and mushrooms.Dressed with pecorino romano cheese.Finished with ghost pepper salt which totally made this pie awesome.

Third - turkey pepperoni and grilled veggies, with red onions. Also dressed with pecorino romano and jalapeno slices. OOOPS!! ... I forgot to take a pic of this one. See below for a glimpse of a slice (top left corner).

Fourth (and last) - tandoori turkey! Also with grilled onions, peppers, and some left over ikra in the sauce from a while ago.

And a side profile pic ( sorry for the blur - farkin phone autofocus picked the wrong part of the image to focus on):

A sampler plate:

The boys cooling down after a morning of cooking.

I leave myself at the mercy of the Throwdown gods to select a picture as my entry for voting during this throwdown.

I had a wonderful Saturday morning, sitting by my cookers, drinking a few brews, and listening to some tunes. Much better therapy than a shrink!

Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #94
landarc

It's a shame that Caliking has no idea how to cook.

Fark! Looks like I am out of this one already

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #95
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ya know, I was almost bought in to caliking's cook right until he showed his farkin' pool waaaaaaaaaay too many times. I still have a foot of snow on the ground and I am sure that is nothing compared to people further north. Oh well, enjoy the summer in Houston

BTW, pies look mighty fine regardless. What is the trick to getting the dough so thin and even?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #96
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Nice pies and as for the pics of your pool................ I got over 30" on the ground with 16" more coming on Tuesday. Any more an I be grilling on the, farking, roof... But, boy those are some great pizzas.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #97
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking pies.

I can almost hear those eggs talking.

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #98
caseydog

Hey, that's not fair! Can you enter four pizzas?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #99
BBQ Bacon
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dean

Here it comes. I thought I would step outside the box on this one, so here goes. Unfortunately mother nature decided to play a part in today's cooking.

Started with a basil, oregano, garlic pizza dough.

After sitting for a few hours, it was time to get the show on the road.

I got the kid to make the filling for the deep dish pizza.

While that was cooking, I got the grill on to get nice and hot and got out the dough. A little rolling and it was ready.

Now for some of the filling. Some chopped Chorizo, sprinkling of parmesan and a little pepper jack cheese.

Then it was time for the grill. Remember I said Mother Nature wanted in on the fun?

After about 10 minutes on the grill it was time to bring it in. Well not thinking too clearly I grabbed my welding mitts, the one I use to pull hot stuff off the grill, and went out side. Well I certainly learned the folly of my ways, as they 400+ degree cast iron pans were really hot. Luckily it was only a minor burn to one finger. Lesson learned to grab my silicon slip on handle as well as the welding gloves for getting the hot stuff off the grill.

And the official entry for the Pizza Throwdown, and the proverbial money shot...

It was delicious.

Thanks for looking.

Dean
thecanuckfoodie.wordpress.com/
BBQ Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #100
landarc

A wet or moist welding gloves does very little to prevent heat. But, your sacrifice looks like it was worth it.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #101
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It's a shame that Caliking has no idea how to cook.

Fark! Looks like I am out of this one already
Compared to your cooks, that isn't far form the truth at all! But you know that the horse first out of the gates rarely wins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Ya know, I was almost bought in to caliking's cook right until he showed his farkin' pool waaaaaaaaaay too many times. I still have a foot of snow on the ground and I am sure that is nothing compared to people further north. Oh well, enjoy the summer in Houston

BTW, pies look mighty fine regardless. What is the trick to getting the dough so thin and even?
Well, the big blue thing in the yard definitely helps take the edge off the summer down here. But what I really dig about sunshine is the fact that I never have to shovel it off the driveway or scrape it off my windshield!

I roll the crusts out with a rolling pin since I am not skilled enough to toss them or do them by hand. This pushes out a lot of the air or gas in the dough, but I'm happy with the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Hey, that's not fair! Can you enter four pizzas?

CD
4 pizzas? where? All I see is a winning TD entry
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #102
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bacon View Post

And the official entry for the Pizza Throwdown, and the proverbial money shot...

Dean
Love how your crust came out. Did you like the flavor of the garlic, etc? i have not tried adding stuff into the crust yet. And those CI pans are pretty sweet as well.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #103
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Geez, what does it take for y'all to quit yammering and actually post a cook?

Well get ready to eat some humble pie... pizza pie that is, 'coz I'm about to throw some down! let's get this BBQ Pizza Throwdown rolling!

*** cue my theme music*** This is my official entry for the BBQ Pizza Throwdown. Did I say that right?

Finally found some tipo 00 flour locally, without having to pay an arma and a leg for it. So, Fri night I mixed up a batch of pizza dough (recipe from the Forno Bravo website) and let it ferment/rise in the refrigerator overnight.

Also marinated some turkey breast tenderloins in tandoori spices.

Next morning (Sat), the weather was beautiful! Perfect day for a throwdown cook. Fired up the eggs and some tunes, made a cup of coffee, and got to work.

Started by grilling the tandoori turkey on the large egg.

Put the pizza stone in the large and let it come up to temp. Meanwhile, grilled some veggies for some of the pies on the small egg.

The dough looked great after the overnight fermentation. Punched it down, let it rise again and rolled out 4 crusts. I used half the recipe from the Forno Bravo site and made four 10-11" pies.

Dressed the ladies up, and got ready to cook the pies.

Had to pause for hydration. The weather was spectacular. Like the new mod to my small egg?

Pizzas were on for 5mins, spun around 180°, parchment paper removed, then another 5mins. I noticed that the tipo 00 doesn't brown like AP flour does. The crusts did get cracker-crispy though.

First up - Pizza Margherita - Tomatao sauce, mozz pearls, tomato, basil, garlic, dressed with EVOO.

Second - grilled veggie medley - grilled veggies (poblano, yellow peppers, red peppers, green peppers, jalapenos, onions) and mushrooms.Dressed with pecorino romano cheese.Finished with ghost pepper salt which totally made this pie awesome.

Third - turkey pepperoni and grilled veggies, with red onions. Also dressed with pecorino romano and jalapeno slices. OOOPS!! ... I forgot to take a pic of this one. See below for a glimpse of a slice (top left corner).

Fourth (and last) - tandoori turkey! Also with grilled onions, peppers, and some left over ikra in the sauce from a while ago.

And a side profile pic ( sorry for the blur - farkin phone autofocus picked the wrong part of the image to focus on):

A sampler plate:

The boys cooling down after a morning of cooking.

I leave myself at the mercy of the Throwdown gods to select a picture as my entry for voting during this throwdown.

I had a wonderful Saturday morning, sitting by my cookers, drinking a few brews, and listening to some tunes. Much better therapy than a shrink!

Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!
i kinda hate you.

noooo, not really! nice cook!

*edit* oooh, sorry to quote the whole post. tried just one pool pic, can anyone fix?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #104
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
But what I really dig about sunshine is the fact that I never have to shovel it off the driveway or scrape it off my windshield!
Quite true. You just have to peel the burnt skin off of your skeleton when you finally run out of sweat.

I have tried to roll dough before but I guess I am just not letting it rest enough. Usually it just contracts and I can never get it that thin.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #105
BBQ Bacon
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dean

Quote:
Love how your crust came out. Did you like the flavor of the garlic, etc? i have not tried adding stuff into the crust yet. And those CI pans are pretty sweet as well.
The crust was very tasty. The garlic and herbs adds just that little extra.
thecanuckfoodie.wordpress.com/
BBQ Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote