My 1st food pron post

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
My first food pron post to this forum, thought I should post something with pics to prove it happens.

The before image, all rubbed up and ready for the heat
P6290008.jpg

On the grill for 1/2 hour, hmmm, I see rusty old cast iron chip boxes...
shoulder1hr.jpg

7 hours into the process, I had a 4 hour meeting and somewhere along the line, it must have gotten hot in there, as it is still not quite done, but rather dark already...

Bob

Sort of, the heat is off to the sides a bit more than it looks in that photo, it has been a steady 225F while I have been here to check it. If I had made a shot from directly above the grill, you would see the briquettes and wood off to the side a few inches. I also note that one photo is not showing...hmmm
shoulder7hrs.jpg

Well, in a very aggravating turn, I pulled it off, cracked it open and got hit with a sour smell. I opened it up some more, tasted it briefly and it is sour and smells bad. I suspect that the butcher I bought it from may have sold me old or poorly stored meat. This really makes me mad. It looks great, but, is sour to the core, and stinks so bad that other than a small sample that I intend to make the butcher eat, I am gonna have to bury the rest. Dmmt!!!

Well, in a very aggravating turn, I pulled it off, cracked it open and got hit with a sour smell. I opened it up some more, tasted it briefly and it is sour and smells bad. I suspect that the butcher I bought it from may have sold me old or poorly stored meat.

Chalk it up to experience. Sorry to hear it cause that was looking good.

I think a lot of us could write a book on failed BBQ moments. Like LMAJ said, you just have to chalk it up to experience and move on. Many of us have shared a few of our failed attempts, and we all learn from them. Keep on chugging and reap the benefits!
Normally I'd think that creosote build up would be the culprit, but the fact that you were using chips in an offset setting kind of eliminates that. You may be right in the fact that the meat was at fault. Did it smell "off" to begin with?

Yes, well there is always tomorrow, there is 40 lbs of charcoal out back and I have a recipe for country style ribs...

Judging from the first pic, it does look kind of flat......Like it has been looked over at the bottom of a stack of butts for a while.

I am very anal about the meat being good. If it smells off to begin with, I ain't cooking it. It is said that the meat in a cryo gives off a gas and can be rinsed and be fine but from my experience, when I cut open a good cyro, there is no smell.

Don't give up.

OOOOOOOOOOOO.........
That farkin SUCKS!

Sorry to hear about that. I agree, though, that it was lookin' REAL good!
Curious if it smelled sour before you cooked it too.

Good cookin though.....looks like you got that part down!

Keep on cookin man!!!

Yes, well there is always tomorrow, there is 40 lbs of charcoal out back and I have a recipe for country style ribs...
There YA GO!! Guys we hooked one, he gets knocked down he comes right back for more!!
Good to see.

Too bad about the meat, I hate when that happens, although since I befriended a butcher and married a butcher's daughter that hasn't happened :0).

Well, I been hooked for a while, a bad piece of meat has never dissuaded me. Sad that it had to be my first post here though. The butcher was stand up this morning, gave me cash back right off, then sniffed the sample, agreed that it was off, then mentioned that the rub and smoke sure smelled good. He also offered me that he has a new load of pork coming in tomorrow and he will cut the price to make up for the bad product.

It did look flat, and it smelled like cryo meat sometimes does. This is the first time I have had it not clear up, never had a problem before. I really want to buy from this guy as he is local, a real butcher shop and offers good poultry and beef. First time I bought pork from him, he is the only one, locally, that sells large shoulder cuts without a pre-order.

Sounds like your butcher might become a good friend in the end, and it was great that he served up proper customer service immediately and promised in the future.

As for the lost pork... just call it cooking practice. :) Thanks for sharing tho, it could very well help shed light on the same 'smelly' issue for other folks.

Back