• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

home grown pork

skycruiser

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone raising there own pork? My brother & I thought we should try. In one day we went got 2 piglets, before the day was over we had 6.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• 20140210_110340.jpg
    20140210_110340.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 541
  • 20140210_181633.jpg
    20140210_181633.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 538
Be some good eatin in about a year.

On full feed they will be 250# at 6 months old. These are about 2 months I'd guess. Have fun, they are full time job, but worth the effort.

I raise pork. Those are cute little buggers. :grin:

Those are so cute I would have to name them. 8)

1. Breakfast
2. Lunch
3. Dinner
4. Snack
5. Brunch
6. Freezer

All joking aside, keep us posted on your project.
We raised pigs for personal use while growing up and it was "interesting" 8)
I actually had a piglet I got to raise for the FFA and State Fair when I was about 12 or so.
Some Bastige stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

TIM

Raised pigs all through school (Texas 4-H). It was definitely an experience. Easy to do, and clean animals too! Only thing is it will be kind of hard to put that .22LR through their skull after scooping poop and feeding them for a while.. They are actually very kind animals that take to people really well..

Those are so cute I would have to name them. 8)

1. Breakfast
2. Lunch
3. Dinner
4. Snack
5. Brunch
6. Freezer

All joking aside, keep us posted on your project.
We raised pigs for personal use while growing up and it was "interesting" 8)
I actually had a piglet I got to raise for the FFA and State Fair when I was about 12 or so.
Some Bastige stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

TIM

Agreed. My brother in law has started raising beef, and may....may venture into raising a hog or two just for annual family gatherings. Does anyone know if it's worth raising just 1 or 2 hogs? I mean is it a lot of effort raising them vs just buying one slaughtered?

How bad to they stink? I have wanted to do this as well. I aint sure how my lady will like the smell of a pig pen.

Also how much does it cost to feed them?

I loved raising 4 or 5 at a time. They are so smart and always farked with me when I went in to clean their pen. Kinda got attached to them and our dog, Smokey loved those piggys. I can still ,to this day, say "where's the pigs?" and she will run over to the pin and wine looking for the pigs. Best pork I ever had. Lots of poop....but well worth it. imho. Enjoy them. They're awesome animals. they are so smart and a joy to raise.

Kinda reminds me of when my folks owned Wilson Swine Producers back in the 70's and early 80's. We had 7 different farms and raised a bunch of hogs. I miss when we dried the sausage and salt cured the country hams. I don't miss helping clean out the houses on a hot summer day though!!!

I dont think that will happen at my house A mfriend of mine had I believe a pot belly pig as a house pet

Back